They're not eating!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockgymbrock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a red parrot cichlid and black convict cichlid on Monday. they have been doing alot of hiding but haven't showed any interest in eating. I have put food in their tank twice a day around the same time each day. wat is wrong? please help?

First, how big are the fish, the tank and how do you have it set up? Alos, what are you feeding them?

Regardless, let them go two days with nothing and if they are still hiding go another day. By day 4 they will eat.

First, how big are the fish, the tank and how do you have it set up? Alos, what are you feeding them?

Regardless, let them go two days with nothing and if they are still hiding go another day. By day 4 they will eat.

the fish are still babies. the parrot (captain jack) is 2 inches and the black convict (akon) is an inch. the tank is 37 gallons the picture is how I have it set up by they hide in the sunken barrels.

Attachments

• image-408144706.jpg
    image-408144706.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image-930702675.jpg
    image-930702675.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 74

the fish are still babies. the parrot (captain jack) is 2 inches and the black convict (akon) is an inch. the tank is 37 gallons the picture is how I have it set up by they hide in the sunken barrels.

Is the tank cycled? have you checked ammonia nitrites and nitrates? are they chasing each other or stressing each other out? They can go upwards of a week to two weeks without eating. I'd increase the temp a bit (depending what you have it on) do a W/C and try to feed some pellets (Omega 1, Hikari, NLS) to them or high quality flake possibly.

Is the tank cycled? have you checked ammonia nitrites and nitrates? are they chasing each other or stressing each other out? They can go upwards of a week to two weeks without eating. I'd increase the temp a bit (depending what you have it on) do a W/C and try to feed some pellets (Omega 1, Hikari, NLS) to them or high quality flake possibly.

yeah the tank is cycled. I tested the everything in Monday before I put the fish into the tank and it was all good. they don't really chase each. the convict comes out and explores, But not often. the red parrot never shows face tho. guess he is just extremely shy. and should those type of pellets be included with the already present diet?

How did you cycle the tank?

well I just put the fish in there Monday night. had the tank up and running since Friday. there were no fish so the ammonia level was fine. temp between 78-80F. tested the nitrite and nitrate levels on Monday and they were fine. have plants in there to help with the nitrite and nitrate levels

well I just put the fish in there Monday night. had the tank up and running since Friday. there were no fish so the ammonia level was fine. temp between 78-80F. tested the nitrite and nitrate levels on Monday and they were fine. have plants in there to help with the nitrite and nitrate levels

There won't be any ammonia or nitrite present without fish(maybe nitrates if you tap has any), here is good link to detail the nitrogen process.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Yeah the tank wasn't cycled my friend. You need to get the parameters checked asap. and Get prime for dechlorinating your water. I'd do an immediate 50 % W/C with the dechlorinator, dose for FULL size of tank. What have you tried feeding them? Pellets should be the staple of their diet.

Yeah the tank wasn't cycled my friend. You need to get the parameters checked asap. and Get prime for dechlorinating your water. I'd do an immediate 50 % W/C with the dechlorinator, dose for FULL size of tank. What have you tried feeding them? Pellets should be the staple of their diet.

the tank is dechlorinated with API stress coat. did that last Friday when I started the tank. and doing it again tomorrow when I take out 25% of the water and put treated water in. and I feed them mini pellets. but they are eating now, the red parrot is even coming out of hiding more. guess they were just scared.

Get a quality dechlorinator, API stresscoat just takes out chlorine.

It does much more than that....

" API Stress Coat Water Conditioner that features the healing power of Aloe Vera to help reduce susceptibility to disease and infection, help heal torn fins and skin wounds and reduce electrolyte loss. The water conditioner forms a synthetic slime coating to replace the natural secretion that is interrupted by handling, shipping, fish fighting or other stressors. The conditioner also neutralizes heavy metals and removes chlorine and chloramines found in tap water to help you create a nurturing, healing and safe aquarium environment for your fish."

Stress coat is great! I use both stress coat and/or prime depending on the situation.

Right I have stresscoat as well. I am talking for dechlorination purposes, all it does it take out the chlorine. Prime is needed for almost all tap waters. Where as stress coat is good if the fish are stressed, transporting them, etc.

Right I have stresscoat as well. I am talking for dechlorination purposes, all it does it take out the chlorine. Prime is needed for almost all tap waters. Where as stress coat is good if the fish are stressed, transporting them, etc.

What part of Stress coat removes Chlorine, Chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals was in a foreign language that you didn't understand?!

The only added thing that prime does is locks up ammonia and nitrites to less harmful from, which last time I checked has nothing to do with dechlorination.

Back
Top Bottom