thinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumlover10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about buying a eletric yellow lab cichlid in a month or two does anyone know there compatability and if they eat ghost shrimp.

I was thinking about buying a eletric yellow lab cichlid in a month or two does anyone know there compatability and if they eat ghost shrimp.
What size is your tank? Andrew helped me with my stock and I currently have 7 electric yellow labs, 6 coblat blue zebras, 2 Orange Blotch zebras (I had 3) and 2 strawberry peacocks in a 55Gallon tank. The dominant male killed the weakest one in the tank.

it is 10 gallons (the one at my petsmart are only 1 inch)

Yes, that tank is not even big enough for one cichlid. The electric yellow lab gets about 5 inches. They need to have a minimum of 55 like Andrew said and you have to have good filters or a canister which cycles the water about 6 times in an hour because cichlids need to be over stocked

I suggest looking at some smaller Tanzanians if you want cichlids, but they should be kept in a larger tank as well. You get get done Yellow fry, but they would need a bigger tank, or be sold by the time they reach 2-3 inches, and they'll be miserable, susceptible to disease. Look at paracyprichromis nigripinnis as an alternative. But they will absolutely eat your ghost shrimp.

Fish are like us, they need variety, balance, and moderation food wise. Feeding only ghost shrimp is like only eating hamburger. Most cichlids enjoy a veggie based diet with some fat and protein.

not trying to jack the thread but was wandering how often too often would be to feed mbunas baby cherry shrimp? i feed them tetra flakes in the am hikari in the green baf in the evening on m-th, on friday i feed them once and i give them frozen foods but have heard the soft brineshrimp are bad for them so was wandering if i could substitute that for baby-medium shrimp, on saturday i feed them only blanched de shelled frozen peas and on sunday i fast them since thats when i do my pwc

I suggest looking at some smaller Tanzanians if you want cichlids, but they should be kept in a larger tank as well. You get get done Yellow fry, but they would need a bigger tank, or be sold by the time they reach 2-3 inches, and they'll be miserable, susceptible to disease. Look at paracyprichromis nigripinnis as an alternative. But they will absolutely eat your ghost shrimp.

Fish are like us, they need variety, balance, and moderation food wise. Feeding only ghost shrimp is like only eating hamburger. Most cichlids enjoy a veggie based diet with some fat and protein.

I think you meant tanganyikans, not Tanzanians, and I would NOT suggest any cyprichromis or any relative for a 10 gallon tank, not to mention cyps are never cheap and hard to find

These fish live mostly on algae in their environment.
Technically they eat the Aufwuchs, which is a mixture of green algae, diatoms, small crustaceans, rotifers,protozoans, insect larvae, oligochaetes and tardigrades.

" Look at paracyprichromis nigripinnis

That's just about the worst suggestion I have seen yet. A much better idea would be a small group of 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1749

not trying to jack the thread but was wandering how often too often would be to feed mbunas baby cherry shrimp? i feed them tetra flakes in the am hikari in the green baf in the evening on m-th, on friday i feed them once and i give them frozen foods but have heard the soft brineshrimp are bad for them so was wandering if i could substitute that for baby-medium shrimp, on saturday i feed them only blanched de shelled frozen peas and on sunday i fast them since thats when i do my pwc

Why would you want to waste cherry reds? It really boasts no advantage to them, just feed a quality food like NLS and you're golden

If you are breeding cherry reds, sell them or give them away, I know plenty of people that would be ecstatic to receive free RCS

Back
Top Bottom