Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking about getting out.

Im moving in 8 days and im seriously considering getting out of cichlids right now. Not forever but at the moment I have an overstocked 10 gallon and my 60 cichlid tank. The reason im considering this is because the aggression level is rising in the cichlid tank. I can't get any more at the moment and I've tried redecorating about 10 times to create a new cave hardscape for them. Nothing. They're beating each other up. They're so beautiful and I really like them but I feel like I can't handle it right now financially. I really want to get back into a low tech planted tank again. I had one for over a year and I still have plants in the 10 gallon. Im thinking of going back to a community tank to be honest. Any opinions on what I should do here? Do I keep the cichlids and keep trying to make it work? Or should I throw in the towel since im moving and just start over with new fish. Moving the fish will be stressful enough on them not to mention they will be in bags for well over 10 hours. Really need some thoughts guys.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What's your stock its a lot of things that could be causing this. It is hard getting a good balance with cichlids especially if there mbuna.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

1 electric blue ahli
1 red Crystal
1 ottor point
1 o. lithobates
1sunshine benga
1 red empress
1 deepwater hap
1 lemon Jake
1 blue orchid

This is the stock list for my 60 gallon. I really can't afford any more cichlids at the moment either.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any females in the tank

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No females, all male tank. They all are over 3 inches some are at 4 1/2 inches.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What would you do with them? If you're feeling overwhelmed, it might be best to cut down in some way or else it will just be added stress which isn't good for you or your fish. Can you get another tank and divide up the tank that is having the aggression problems? You can also buy tank dividers that could work in a pinch.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well i have a lfs I can sell them to for a store credit. I can't afford to add anything to the tank including a divider. Im out of work right now due to a medical condition and im on limited funds. Im really leaning towards getting rid of them. I don't want to stress them out more and I don't want them to be unhappy because I can't afford to stock the tank properly

Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just dropped them off. That was pretty depressing.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aw, it is really hard but you did the best thing you could do for them right now.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep your chin up! You can now concentrate better on what you have to do to solve your immediate human problems. When you need to relax, think about the super-wonderful community tank you will be putting together with the store credit for the cichlids, once you are over the move, etc.

You gained a lot of valuable experience with the cichlids and can do even better when you redo the tank after the move

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com