Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thinking about some Bolivians....

I've got a 20 long that has a few glo-lights,neons and a female betta. My lfs has some very pretty bolivian rams that I have taken a fancy to. I'm thinking about adding a couple more rock caves to the lightly planted look and adding a couple of them guys, now I know some sites say they're aggressive and can eat the neons but there are other that say they have them with dwarf gouarmis and neons and they do fine...thoughts??

Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had a bolivian or two for the past several months and they do fine with my dwarf gouamis (have 2). I also have tetras and other small non-aggressive fish.

The bolivian can be teritorial but they only case for a couple inches then go back to their spot. Most of the time it is closer to the bottom of the tank as well and the smaller fish stay toward the top of mine so not many problems at all.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep 6 Bolivians and they are with Danios, Gouramis & Cory Cats (Even some tiny baby ones) and they are fine. They get territorial while protecting their frys, but they only push the other fish that come close. They are a great addition IMO!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, CA PM me I got a nice dwarf cichlid write up here, also my old man bought my 11 angels, all my tetras and 3 banjo cats from me yesterday for his 210, I am going 100% dwarf and found alot of great info on them and each particular species.

Supra my zip is 60118 USA im just outside of chicago.... london/windsor isnt but maybe 6 hours from me....
Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

White devil ill shoot you a pm in a few but I went to the lfs and looked more closely and found they are calling them balloon rams, which I gather are a type (or the same) as golden rams? Anyways one in there is pretty aggressive always flashing and the other 3 are pretty reserved. They look pretty uniform so I think I'm gonna try and get a pair and not 2 males, but I've rearranged the tank to have 3 or 4 more caves for their arrival.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I replied I saw the balloon ones today(while drooling over some wild blues and heckle discus) among the ten or so different SA dwarfs they had to offer, the balloons are abnormal looking to me very abnormal kinda looks like a mini blood parrot body wise not head.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My bolivians are in my community 140G tank with everything from bala sharks to neons and I have not had a problem at all.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
Yeah I replied I saw the balloon ones today(while drooling over some wild blues and heckle discus) among the ten or so different SA dwarfs they had to offer, the balloons are abnormal looking to me very abnormal kinda looks like a mini blood parrot body wise not head.
Yeah you are right, they do have kind of a funky body, but I'm a sucker for BP's (or dummy fish as my wife calls them..idk) so maybe that's why I like them. I think they look like raptors from jurassic park. Haha
Old 04-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went ahead and got what i think is a male and a female. Theyre settling in now, so ill try and get some pics tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

boliv's arent common here at all, heck electric blues go for 30 a piece, german blues are from 11.50 a piece to 50 I saw today.

get some pics, boliv's are purty.

Tags
bolivian

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com