Thinking of getting Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke EF

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently got a tank, and am cycling it right now. I am really wanting a Cichlid tank, but I didn't plan on that from the start. Here is what I currently have,

Aqueon 46 Gallon Bow Front
Aqueon glass lid, and standard single florescent light
Aqueon 55/75 Quiet Flow filter
Aqueon Pro 200 watt heater

And here is the water readings before I dosed it with ammonia

- Ammonia 0ppm
- Nitrites 0ppm
- Nitrates 0ppm
- pH 7.6 (looked like it may be a little darker though)
- High Range pH around 8.2

My Tap water was more or less the same, just the High Range pH was a touch lower

- Ammonia 0ppm
- Nitrites 0ppm
- Nitrates 0ppm
- pH 7.6 (looked like it may be a little darker though)
- High Range pH around 8

And here is a quick picture of it currently.

4-XL.jpg

I let the wife decorate it, and as you can see we did not plan on Cichlid's. Well while I have been doing my fishless cycle, I changed my mind. I came up with the following stocking plan,

AquStockImage.php

In order to do that I will have to add a second filter (same one I already have), and obviously re-decorate. Other than those two changes, what else would I need to do? What does everyone think of that stocking plan? With that stocking plan, what would be the best order to add the fish to the tank? What else do I need to know, or should consider before pulling the trigger? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sean

Aside from what that 'toy' says, acei need a tank twice as long as that one. Yellow labs would probably be ok, though they do appreciate a 4' tank at least. I would re-think the african cichlids. Lots of others, including rams, apistos, angels, kribs, and several others.... mbuna, in general, don't belong in 3' tanks.

That is the kind of information I am looking for. I know you can only trust that site so much, but the list was mostly from another source and I just plugged it in there for a double check. But like I said, nothing is set in stone. If I really cant make it work in this tank then it will just be community fish in there and my next (bigger tank) will be built around the fish I want.

Sean

Well there are lots of choices of cichlids you can still have. Like the rams and shellies. So if you really want cichlids you can have them. Just do lots of research.

Back
Top Bottom