Thinking of setting up a Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there some kind of stocking guidelines for Cichlids? I have no idea how to make up a stocking plan as i dont know what kind of stocking density they require. Also i think i will get medium lights bu no c02 as to incourage the growth of algae. I have read that some species like to eat algae? Correct?

EDIT--Oh god, i just added up the price for just the heater, filter, and lighing and it was 429! Thats not including tank, sand , rock, fish, and plants! LOL it could be a while before i get this tank. I only want a few plants becasue i think a tank with none looks very empty. Im thinking mabye just java fern... But im not sure, it depends on the lighing i can find.

You are correct, most mbuna's eat algae. It should not be their entire diet, but they will munch on it from time to time.

What kind of guidelines are you looking for with the Cichlids? The more peaceful ones are generally "schooling" fish. They prefer to be in groupings of at least 3. Provide plenty of rock structures with hiding places. If you are going to stock a peaceful Mbuna in a 55 gal tank, do not get any that are aggressive. The more aggressive species are best housed in larger tanks.

If you are looking for an easy start to African Cichlids, try one of the other Rift Lakes. Mbuna come from lake Malawi. Try a look at lake Tanganyika. A fairly simple species to keep and breed, and are extremely interesting to watch are the Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Multies). They are a shell dweller species who maxes out at 2 inches for a male and 3/4 inches for a female. You could start out with 1 or 2 males and 4 or 5 females and just let them go. Provided that they have enough shells (they are shell dwellers) they will breed like crazy into a colony and provide you with seemingly endless entertainment. You will also find that they will only inhabit a small section of the tanks substrate.

Along with the Multies, you could add a rock dweller species or 2 such as the Altolamprologus Calvus, Altolamprologus Compressiceps or Julidichromis species. These are interesting species that provided they have the rocks (rock dwellers) they too are interesting species to watch.

And if you still want an orange species, there is the Neolamprologus Leleupi. Also a rock dweller species.

All of these species listed are fairly common and easy to find provided you are willing to exercise patience and not purchase all of your fish in a day. Although for the most part, the profiles that you will find have these species listed as mildly aggressive to aggressive, they all get along fairly well together.

Most stores use a comersial distributior for fish anymore (their isnt enough breeders in alot of area's to keep a pet shop supplied with guppies)

Back
Top Bottom