This hobby is full of surprises!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
My apistogramma steindachneri are very happy since I moved then into my 55 gallon discus tank. The female is especially happy- she's really colored up since she moved in. They seem to really appreciate the extra clean water that comes from living with discus, and having 50% water changes done 2-3 times per week. They are so happy with the current arrangement, in fact, that I noticed some teeny little gray things following the female around today. The apistos have spawned, and I didn't even know it until the fry were already swimming! 8) Ironically, I noticed on Mother's Day that my little female is a new mom.

I'm shocked that any of them could have survived, as there is a tiger pleco in there who I assume would have really liked to eat some apisto eggs. I only counted 4 babies, and again I'm surprised that I even have that many, as discus love live food, and these guys are small enough for even the tetras to eat! 8O

This is so interesting, especially since none of my fish have ever spawned. It's so cool to watch the babies follow Mom around the tank, carefully keeping them under plant cover. And boy, is Mom aggressive!!! She's bright yellow now, and I've seen her chase Dad all over the tank. But mostly she's keeping a low profile.

I'll try to get some pics later, but Mom is awfully fast and babies are awfully small, so it may not work out. This hobby really is full of surprises, and the more I get into it the more fascinating it gets. 8)

Thanks guys. I don't have a spare tank or the time to remove the fry and try to raise them, so I doubt that any will survive. BF got home a few minutes ago and counted 5, not 4 like I thought, so who knows how many are actually in there. I have sponge prefilters over my filter intakes already (tank is heavily planted, and I hate filter maintenance) so hopefully that will be of some help to the little guys.

Just a quick update- I still seem to have 4 or 5 babies in the tank. I can't believe I didn't suck them up in my Python the other day (I was extra careful, of course). They are keeping themselves way on the DL and sticking really close to Mom. They seem to be a little bigger.

These guys must be awfully resourceful... I don't really have much that I can feed them since they are so small. I fed them some San Francisco Bay Brand BBS the other day, but I didn't see any of them eat it. That's the only time I have made any real attempt to feed them, so I don't know what they are eating in there! :?

Congrats on the babies. I will keep my fingers crossed that they make it until they are big enough not to get eaten. :) That would be very awesome! Good luck!

The only ones I have spawning are convicts and livebearers.

Now, if the discus spawned...then I would believe it's spring.

Back
Top Bottom