This is a female GBR, no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found her today in a new shipment. Pectoral fins are very short, but no pink belly (yet?).

Is it a female? I really hope so.

TIA!

Attachments

• img_8019_160.jpg
    img_8019_160.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 56
The second ray of the dorsal fine is usually elongated on males. Also females usually have blue speckles in the black spot on their side. Also i believe the pectoral fins dont extend past the anal fin on females. Males usually do extend past the anal fin.
I cant see the picture so i dont know. But it might just not have a pink belly yet because of stress. Or maybe she's just to young to tell yet.
Anyway, i hope it works out for you ^^. Good luck.
Edit, i was just able to see the picture.
Congrats i'm pretty sure its a girl :D.

Looks like a 4 month old female to me, I count 12 spines in the dorsal and the frist two rays are black. How long has she been in the tank? Most GBR's will be stressed for the frist couple of days sometimes a week before they get there color back.

It looks like a female to me. There are blue spots inside the black one. She doesn't seem to have much colour, but that could be due to stress.

In my experience, the pink belly shows up by the time a fish has reached the size of the one pictured. Of course, I don't really see much male coloration present, either.

Try taking another shot in a few days; it may have calmed enough to show its true colors.;)

I agree. Wait a couple days and take a couple more pics. See if she colors up more. :)

MattAquaBio said:
The second ray of the dorsal fine is usually elongated on males. Also females usually have blue speckles in the black spot on their side. Also i believe the pectoral fins dont extend past the anal fin on females. Males usually do extend past the anal fin.
I cant see the picture so i dont know. But it might just not have a pink belly yet because of stress. Or maybe she's just to young to tell yet.
Anyway, i hope it works out for you ^^. Good luck.
Edit, i was just able to see the picture.
Congrats i'm pretty sure its a girl :D.
Actually, I think you got your fins messed up, lol. The pectoral fins are up by the gills. It's the pelvic fins that don't go past the start of the anal fin. And if I am correct in what I see in the picture, that is the tell-tale sign that she's female. My males pelvic fins go well past the anal fin, even the small baby I had. And in this picture, she's a bit bigger than a small baby. My female's pelvic fins don't come close the anal fin.

Back
Top Bottom