This is gonna sound crazy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
But I've got a 125 gallon tank thats stocked with alot of neon tetra, black skirt tetra, angelfish, Bala shark and clown loaches. I'm considering moving my JD to that tank, along with my oscar. Am I just asking for trouble? This is the craziest Oscar and JD I have ever seen. The literally just lay on top of eachother most of the day and arent aggressive at all to the few danios I have in their tank.

What size tank are the jd and oscar currently in? How big are they?

At a glance, I would say yes that is asking for trouble. Just my opinion though.

Currently, they are in a 55 and only about 3 inches long. I know it sounds crazy, but they really are sort of peaceful. It's weird. So peaceful that for a while I thought they were dying!

Currently, they are in a 55 and only about 3 inches long. I know it sounds crazy, but they really are sort of peaceful. It's weird. So peaceful that for a while I thought they were dying!

Water parameters in check? Not usual behavior from these species of fish.

At three inches it is impossible to tell agression. as this peaks around 18 months with oscars. I am not positive on the number of months on the Jd but...

Water parameters in check? Not usual behavior from these species of fish.

At three inches it is impossible to tell agression. as this peaks around 18 months with oscars. I am not positive on the number of months on the Jd but...
I agree. They are still just babies, so I would recommend waiting for awhile to see how they will behave as adults before even considering putting them into a community with edible tankmates and angels. Its really cool that they are so chill, but don't bet money just yet that it will stay that way IMO. :)

I would have to agree with jeta. I had an Albino Tiger Oscar and a JD in 55g together and that turned into a disaster! They couldn't stand each other in the end.

Edit: granted that wasn't smart to begin with!! Haha

+1 to Jeta. 3" are still babies, the Oscar is going to kill the other tankmates.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
Why does every one think this with oscars? it depends HUGELY on the fishs personality.

Personality may dictate aggression levels, but tetras and neons are Oscar food all day every day. simple as that really.

5x5 said:
Personality may dictate aggression levels, but tetras and neons are Oscar food all day every day. simple as that really.

Before I knew anything about fish I had a JD live peacefully with a group of cherry barbs and head and tail light tetras for just over a year after that I had to home due to size. All I'm trying to say is that for the greater number of scenarios this is true but not always.

I was adding my opinion to the scenario. Oscar's are aggressive and will take over tanks, you may of had one that didn't attack his tankmates, but most Oscar's don't do that.

Before I knew anything about fish I had a JD live peacefully with a group of cherry barbs and head and tail light tetras for just over a year after that I had to home due to size. All I'm trying to say is that for the greater number of scenarios this is true but not always.

Sure there are exceptions, but I would never recommend that setup. I know of countless scenarios where oscars were responsible for large numbers of schooling fish going missing.

Sure there are exceptions, but I would never recommend that setup. I know of countless scenarios where oscars were responsible for large numbers of schooling fish going missing.

Exactly..

Jnthn, you asked for advice " Am I just asking for trouble? "

The answer from the community is yes.

Take it or leave it, it's your decision.

Well, you'll all be happy to know that I've decided against the move. It's just to risky even though these are the most peaceful cichlids I've ever seen. Thanks for the help!

Great choice man.

I've been told that when you keep an Oscar alone, he really ends up with a lot of personality. Mine is hilarious and you can just see how there's no other threat in my tank and he has no stress.

I originally tried two Oscars. They were young (3.0-3.5"), same size, and both introduced in a 55 together. A week later I find out that I couldn't keep them both in that small of a tank, one is even pushing it. Called Petco and said I needed an emergency rehome, they said bring it in tomorrow. The Oscars were super nice, no signs of any aggression. The day of the rehome, I find the Albino torn up and dead in the morning with my Tiger swimming around like crazy. Felt pretty bad...but mistakes happen.

Back
Top Bottom