This is what I found in my tank this morning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfclk33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was checking out my tank this morning and was shocked to see that my jewels had a bunch of fry. I didn't even know they were male and female, let alone mating.

If I want to try and keep them, should I get them out of there or just leave them and let the parents protect them? They seem to be doing an excellent job so far. As it stands right now, they have basically claimed one half of the tank and chase any of my other fish out of that half. Luckily, it is a 125 gallon, so there is plenty of room for now.

The other fish that I have in the tank are three roseline sharks, an Oscar, a jack dempsey, a parrot, a yellow lab, a bumble bee, and a pleco. I know you're not supposed to mix Africans and SA cichlids, but my wife got the yellow lab not realizing that and they have been fine so far.

if I leave them in there, what should I put in there for them to eat?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 1392689919839.jpg
    1392689919839.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 211
From what I understand from jewels is they bread like crazy and are super protective of the fry

That being said you have an oscar in the tank so he may just eat the parents along with the fry lol

How big is the oscar

Jewel are river african cichlids and have similar ph requirements as oscars the problem is they only get 4 or 5 inches tops and the oscar is a 12 inch fish fully grown

And you have a jack....

The tanks is big enough but they are breeding now and that changes everything

If you care to keep the fry move them or the parents will continue to be super aggressive

some say the parents sometimes continue to be aggressive after you move the fry so maybe try moving he parents as well

I am not against mixing it's just you picked fish that are different sizes and that to me is way more problematic still others will say more about the mixing

Right now, the jewels, the jack, and the oscar are pretty close in size. They probably range from 3-4", the jewels being smallest, and the Oscar being the biggest right now.

So what you're saying is that the mixing of those fish is normally not a problem, but now that the jewels are breeding, it could be problematic because of the aggression associated with them breeding?

Also, is it safe to assume that if I leave both of the jewels in the tank, they will continue breeding regularly?

Thanks.

Oscars won't typically eat jewels. However, many of these fish should not be together, especially the crabro and yellow lab. The tank is going to be quickly overstocked, with just the jewels, JD, and Oscar alone. You may say "it's worked for x amount of months" but the truth is that many of these fish are no where near sexual maturity or adult size. Crabro can be particularly nasty fish. Yellow labs are generally peaceful. Oscars are territorial, large, and lazy. JDs can range from peaceful to homicidal depending on the individual. Jewels are nasty when the breed and are the smallest of the group. Parrots get good sized, and due to the deformities from hybridization, can't close their mouth and this can't defend themselves against other fish. They're prone to getting bullied. Basically what I'm trying to say is that half these fish don't belong with each other, and definitely not in a tank that small. 125 may seem like a lot, and it is, but not with a stock list like this.

No i am saying I am not against mixing you just have a bad mix
Oscars and jacks can go together but not anything else in your tank their bio load alone is huge not to mention they will out grow everyone else and eat them later on

As for as the jewels are concerned they will continue to breed like crazy

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess it's time to consider finding a new home for some of my fish. I just have to decide which way I want to go. I've actually been considering re homing all of the cichlids and getting some discus. The only problem is that it's hard to find some nice discus where I'm at and I really don't want to order then online.

Yeah I didn't mention the other cichlids that you mentioned as I myself lack knowledge of them but jacks and oscars I know

So if gecko is saying it won't work than it won't

So yeah I would rehome your stock think if you want an oscar tank or african tank or smaller SA cichlid

The last thing you want to do is a mixed african / SA tank or a discus tank as neither option is for a biggener

Discus are not easy to keep because they are not forgiving with mistakes and you couldn't mix them with another type of cichlid because first you have to learn how to keep them before you can even attempt to mix them

Make another thread once you have decided which way you want to move forward with.

You have 125g you have a ton of options but do some research and do not make impulse buys it will save you money and head aches in the long run

Personally I would ditch the other cichlids and make it a jewel tank. Get a few turquoise jewels to add some more color, get another dozen or more roseline sharks. Ditch the pleco since it's probably a common pleco and get a few clown plecos or albino bristlenoses.

As for raising the fry. First see what the market is like for jewels in your area. See if your local stores would take them for store credit or trade. Check out craigslist and see if you have a freecycle in your area as well. Then you can decide on whether or not you want to save the fry or you can just let nature take it's course in your tank and then put any survivors up for sale.

I actually had a community tank before I moved with discus and and a few other types of fish, so I'm familiar with keeping them. The main thing with them is frequent water changes and stable ph. I agree that they are definitely not as forgiving as some other fish.

Dragonfish,
I actually thought about making it a jewel tank like you suggested. I do like those fish, especially when they color up like the two I've got now. Of course, that probably has a lot to do with the breeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually had a community tank before I moved with discus and and a few other types of fish, so I'm familiar with keeping them. The main thing with them is frequent water changes and stable ph. I agree that they are definitely not as forgiving as some other fish.

Ok so than you know... and now that I know you know lol

Either a jewel or discus tank is my vote but don't mix those you wouldn't end well for the discus if you mix them with jewels

Oscars won't typically eat jewels. However, many of these fish should not be together, especially the crabro and yellow lab. The tank is going to be quickly overstocked, with just the jewels, JD, and Oscar alone. You may say "it's worked for x amount of months" but the truth is that many of these fish are no where near sexual maturity or adult size. Crabro can be particularly nasty fish. Yellow labs are generally peaceful. Oscars are territorial, large, and lazy. JDs can range from peaceful to homicidal depending on the individual. Jewels are nasty when the breed and are the smallest of the group. Parrots get good sized, and due to the deformities from hybridization, can't close their mouth and this can't defend themselves against other fish. They're prone to getting bullied. Basically what I'm trying to say is that half these fish don't belong with each other, and definitely not in a tank that small. 125 may seem like a lot, and it is, but not with a stock list like this.

I agree with this info/advice. This will all go bad eventually.

Dragonfish,
I actually thought about making it a jewel tank like you suggested. I do like those fish, especially when they color up like the two I've got now. Of course, that probably has a lot to do with the breeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Breeding, the correct care and the right food all have a hand in it. Also their spawning colors really brighten them up as well.

You should google the turquoise jewels if you haven't seen them before. When they're taken care of properly, they're absolutely georgous.

Having babies is the best !!!!! Keeping them alive is even better .

If you care about keeping the babies IMHO I would get rid of the Oscar and probly the jack , they will eat them in a blink of an eye soon as they get the chance . I know jacks are mostly vegetarian but they do enjoy brine shrimp blood worms and fry , at least mine did .

Also one thing that helped me over the years is getting some "desert coral " rocks , it's basicly a hard sandstone with quartz crystals all over it but it has many tunnels and holes like mini caves thru out it , giving the fry a safe haven to hide .

I did Google the turquoise jewels and they are really nice looking fish.

Also, I do have a fake coral for a centerpiece in that tank, so hopefully some of the fry make it.

Thanks again for the advice. At least now I know which ones shouldn't be together in there.

Back
Top Bottom