Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanden View Post
the last picture looks like a female to me
Why do you say that?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks smaller and not as bright as the rest but I am not an expert by any means

Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

So truthfully without venting or finding one holding, it is impossible to tell. However, if I were going to guess, I would have guessed the 5th one as well. It has only a single egg spot, also, it looks totally harassed (like a female being chased by four males). However that is a complete guess - venting is really the only way you can tell for sure with Cobalt blues.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
So truthfully without venting or finding one holding, it is impossible to tell. However, if I were going to guess, I would have guessed the 5th one as well. It has only a single egg spot, also, it looks totally harassed (like a female being chased by four males). However that is a complete guess - venting is really the only way you can tell for sure with Cobalt blues.
That one is one of the small ones. It is the darkest cobalt other then the one with stripes. I have NO IDEA.. BUT i might recall the mouth on the higher one being bigger...? I don't know. I do remember thinking maybe it was about 2 months ago?? :/ how old is that baby do you think? It had blue coloring already

The biggest fish in picture 2 and 4 is the one i believe it was
Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariah View Post
That one is one of the small ones. It is the darkest cobalt other then the one with stripes. I have NO IDEA.. BUT i might recall the mouth on the higher one being bigger...? I don't know. I do remember thinking maybe it was about 2 months ago?? :/ how old is that baby do you think? It had blue coloring already

The biggest fish in picture 2 and 4 is the one i believe it was
Could be, but without catching it in the act of brooding or venting, you are not going to know for sure.. Hard to say how old it is, since growth will vary depending on how much food it has been getting.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

The first pic with the pale blue has a rounded dorsal fin, the others have pointed. That's another way to tell but not always accurate.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post

Could be, but without catching it in the act of brooding or venting, you are not going to know for sure.. Hard to say how old it is, since growth will vary depending on how much food it has been getting.
It would have eaten every day. I have been feeding flakes for the last two months ish. My pellets are expired so i only feed every so often them

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com