Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thoughts on blood parrot cichlids?

Anyone have them? Are they really the products of someone's evil mind trying to manipulate/create a new fish? I've read so many viewpoints and opinions on them- pro and con - I'm undecided. Problem is, I have an empty (cycled) 37 gallon tank, and trying to decide what to put in it. . .

Old 03-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't support artificial hybrids like the blood parrot and the flowerhorn because they are designed completely with human aesthetics in mind. "Look-- these two fish look great, but with a little experimenting we can make one that looks like them but BETTER." It demeans the natural state of the parent fish and suggests that human-made substitutes are better than having an aquarist search to find something natural that suits them. Parrots in particular are also popular victims for injections and dyeing. Such animals are viewed as weird and unnatural much like people at a freakshow, which is part of what increases their allure to some.

Then again, a similar argument could be made against people who take one species of fish and breed it out so that they get characteristics that are appealing to the human eye but do not really do anything for the fish or take the shortcut of genetically engineering them that way (bettas and GloFish, anyone?). However, taking things from the wild and tinkering around with them seems to be a part of humanity.

/end rambling.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blood parrots are unquestionably mutants. Where their genes come from is up for debate; I've heard a number of different SA cichlid combinations as well as a mutation of a single species.

My issue with them is not they are hybrids or mutations. My issue with them is 2 fold:

Usually they are so deformed they cannot close their mouths. Some are also missing tail fins. I have problems with breeding and selling fish with compromised abilities to survive.

They are usually dyed. That one needs no explanation IMHO.

There is a TRUE parrot cichlid, but it is totally unrelated to the blood parrot.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They are usually dyed. That one needs no explanation IMHO.
Agreed.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two parrots and absolutely love them both. They are both juvenile and have not fully taken on their adult colors. Both started out brown with black stripes and one has already almost completely turned dark yellow/orange. The other one is beginning to turn a brilliant red. Note; both not dyed (a practice that I hate). They are both extremely healthy and seem very happy. No problems swimming or eating.

As to being mutants; so what??? I've had several muties in my fishkeeping carreer. I had an electric blue cichlid with a bent spinal cord, a red zebra with no tail whatsoever , and two Brichardi's without mouthparts (only a hole in front). All seemed to do quite fine with their abnormalities and lived long lives (except for the brichardis who died during a move).
I think blood parrots are fine. If they had any deformity that made their lives unpleasant I would feel differently.
Just my opinion; hope it's not taken badly.
New to Forum,
-Mark
Old 03-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two parrots and absolutely love them both. They are both juvenile and have not fully taken on their adult colors. Both started out brown with black stripes and one has already almost completely turned dark yellow/orange. The other one is beginning to turn a brilliant red. Note; both not dyed (a practice that I hate). They are both extremely healthy and seem very happy. No problems swimming or eating.

As to being mutants; so what??? I've had several muties in my fishkeeping carreer. I had an electric blue cichlid with a bent spinal cord, a red zebra with no tail whatsoever , and two Brichardi's without mouthparts (only a hole in front). All seemed to do quite fine with their abnormalities and lived long lives (except for the brichardis who died during a move).
I think blood parrots are fine. If they had any deformity that made their lives unpleasant I would feel differently.
Just my opinion; hope it's not taken badly.
New to Forum,
-Mark
Old 03-29-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The only "problem" I see with buying mutants is it supports the idea that this is okay. The LFS has no reason to stop stocking these fish.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can understand the concern about genetic engineering - however, I keep fancy goldfish - fantails, ryukins, moors and orandas. I don't keep the celestial gazers, tough, their eyes just bug me. My point is, I'll never see this form of carp in my local river. . .
Old 03-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

"mutant" parrots, "mutant" goldfish, &qu

Good point Dee. All of those wild looking goldfish are a result of genetic mutation. Fanciers who like the new look, breed for that deformity. I know that my parrots swim, eat, and see much better than many of the fancy goldfish I've come across. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but just keep things in perspective. Many of the varieties of fish available are only in existance because of selective breeding. As long as the result is a health, happy, fish, I really don't see any reason to consider it a problem.
Let's keep the message going that dying fish, however, is harmful and is a practice that should be stopped. Unquestionably.
-Mark
Old 03-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

of course I meant dyeing fish.
sorry,
-mark

Tags
blood, cichlid, cichlids, ich, parrot, parrot cichlids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com