Thoughts on new GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is pretty! I have had bad experience with fish from chain stores. Wish you luck and hope she stays healthy! I am getting a pair of GBR's next week myself! So excited!:dance:

Where are u gettin urs from if u dont mind me asking.. i looked on liveaquaria.com but it is making me order $29.99 worth of stuff to ship.

Also i wanted to see if yall think i should add anything else to my tank for hiding spots which jamie (hubby) wants to add another barrel piece to the right side to even it out but i really dont like them.. i plan on addin another plant in the back where that bare spot is at.. andrew said he would send me some moss so ill b addin that when i get it .

I now have 2 albino cories, 2 green cories , 2 otos in the tank i would like a pair of gbr just worried about the others n the tank now after my experience with just one.

ForumRunner_20130113_213606.jpg

ForumRunner_20130113_213631.jpg

The barrel has like 4 or 5 holes to enter/exit out of

ForumRunner_20130113_213729.jpg

ForumRunner_20130113_213614.jpg

More hidey holes is never a bad thing. Sometimes you just get fish that don't want to cooperate. The advice you get here is mostly a generalization of behavior from folks that keep said species. Most of the time, that's going to be good advice. Occasionally, you get a ram that's going to go nuts and just kill everything. My husband had one of those rams- it claimed an entire 29 gallon to itself, no exceptions. LOL. Super aggressive rams are certainly in the minority in my personal experience, having kept 30 or so pairs.

Your tank looks very nice as is. If you want to add more caves, you might think about using aquarium safe silicone to make a cave or two out of some rocks you can buy from a garden center. River rocks are great for this, and if you don't like the barrel decoration, it might be a good compromise for you and your husband. Just be sure to let the silicone cure outside of the tank before adding the new decor. :)

Last edited:
Thanks.. i might add a couple of those smaller flower pots ..since jamie really likes the dang barrels i might just add another one to keep him happy. He is alil mad i brought the ram back n wouldnt let him add a betta to the tank.. :) which is actually a good thing bc that means he is takin an interest in the hobby even if its a small one.. ;) he picked out the albino cories too.. thats a big step for him .. n just so im certain u dont think my tank is too small for a pair instead of a single gbr..

Tank is a 20 gallon high, right? If so, that's just fine for a pair of rams.

Thanks.. n yea its 20g high.. i was concerned with the room n all with them being protective of their egg/fry.. im not planning on adding anything other then what i have n the rams .. im soo excited cant wait to get my gbr back i already miss that lil gal n my tank . Definately dont miss the hurt/dead fish finds though..

Www.bluegrassaquatics.com

They have rams.

Www.oddballfish.com

Also have a GBR breeding program.
I'v heard nothing but good things about both from AA members.

Thanks i looked there n the minium order is $50 then the other must b out b i didnt see nothing but gold electric blue long finned or bolivan..

Are u on cca.. im assuming it was u bc the name is spelled the same..lol did u get ur pair from frank cowherd? He just told me he had a pair which i told him i wanted . :)

Thanks i looked there n the minium order is $50 then the other must b out b i didnt see nothing but gold electric blue long finned or bolivan..

Are u on cca.. im assuming it was u bc the name is spelled the same..lol did u get ur pair from frank cowherd? He just told me he had a pair which i told him i wanted . :)

Yup! thats me. No I didn't! I was about to order from Frank but worked out a really good deal with a LFS I know buys from U.S. breeders!! To funny!

Thought i would update ... i wanted to get the gbr pair but my husband wants to do a community tank with a betta.. so i guess im gonna do it his way after gettin some advice about it..

Back
Top Bottom