Tiger Oscar Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertsBaby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had fish my whole life. My current tanks include a 75g goldfish tank 2 20 gallon tanks (bettas and aquatic salamander) and several other smaller tanks.. I just recently, due to some encounters with a Tiger Oscar on campus, I decided to try my hand at them. So one cycled 60g tank + supplies later I now have my 2" baby oscar.
Due to the lack of ANY fish store in the area I had to get the Oscar from Petsmart. I watched him closely and of course after about 4 days I caught the first 3 white spots of Ick (every fish I've gotten from Petsmart inevitably shows up with ick).
So anyway, hes on treatment for that and I've had him about 4 or 5 days now, hes still hiding whenever I am in the room. I know hes eating because w/o filter there is no water movement. I have a feeding ring but I'm not sure if hes been eating out of it or if the food is just slowly floating to the bottom. Yesterday I dropped food by his head and left for a few minutes and the food was gone when I returned. He ate 3 large pellets that way (the 4th I found floating later in the tank) I have been removing all uneaten food as to avoid destroying the water parameter I worked so hard to get (stupid ick.).

I guess my main questions are, is there anything else I should be doing to get him to quit hiding (hes in a back room of the house so he doesn't see me much as it is and I have NEVER had a fish that has hidden from me like this.)
Also, is there anything else I should be doing as for feeding him. He is eating Hitari mini pellets which are big for him but he hasn't shown any problem eating them.

Even if the food is dropped right next to his head he will eye it but refuses to actually EAT until I'm out of the room. (Clever little bugger knows if I'm hiding around the corner and will wait until he sees the door open and close to move)

Now, before you read my post, I'm not telling you that you have to go out and get another one. :)

My experience with my baby oscars is they act really lethargic, will lay on the bottom of the tank, not really eat, basically act like they are half dead, if they are alone. If you are inclined to do so , get another baby to go in the tank with it and when they hit the juvie stage, sale or give away the other oscar.

What are you using to treat the ich with?

It might be an option for me. I have a friend who is interested in getting them I will see if she could possibly take the extra when he gets a bit older.
Do you think that would help him not be so timid and scared?

I can't remember the brand (I'm at work) but it is Super Ick Cure or something of the like. I can post the brand when I get home.

Also, a question for my friend. She was wondering how long she can keep 2 Oscars together in a 20g tank until she can afford to upgrade to a 125 gallon?

I would have the 125 g tank before I got the oscar. They will quickly outgrow a 20 g tank.

I know getting the second one pulled mine out from being scared and hiding, I think the only way to really tell would be to try it.

I guess what I need to know is are we talking weeks or months or what for how long they would outgrow a small tank like a 20g?
She gets paid bi-weekly and in the next 2 months or so will have the cash to be able to get a big tank like that I just need to know about how long so I can tell her.

In two months time mine went from being about 2 inches to about 4 inches. They have a large body mass and are extremely messy eaters. i would not reccomend one in a 20 gallon tank for more than a month, it could be like a qt tank during that time.

the only problem i see in getting the fish before she gets the tank is that alot of people say they will get a bigger tank, then something happens and they dont. IMO, i would wait until she gets the tank, then get the fish and qt them in the 20g while the 125 cycles... jmo though

Back
Top Bottom