Tiger Oscar Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning a 90 gallon tiger Oscar tank. The tank will have 2 fluval 406 canister filters on it, sand substrate, and large pieces of driftwood as Aqua scaping. My question is the tank mates. I plan on putting the Oscar, a Trinidad pleco and a red severum. Aqadvisor says I'm at 104% and have plenty of filtration, what are your thoughts?

I'm planning a 90 gallon tiger Oscar tank. The tank will have 2 fluval 406 canister filters on it, sand substrate, and large pieces of driftwood as Aqua scaping. My question is the tank mates. I plan on putting the Oscar, a Trinidad pleco and a red severum. Aqadvisor says I'm at 104% and have plenty of filtration, what are your thoughts?

You should be fine to be honest. As long as you keep up with the PWC and dont overfeed and check the parameters. The stock doesnt seem bad either. The only problem you might encounter is if the oscar has a temper or is agressive. Try putting in the two peaceful fish first and then putting in the oscar about a few days later. It will help.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

That's what my plan is so that the Oscar is the last to establish a territory and therefore possible cut back on aggression.

Why such a big tank? All the new oscar experts on here are using 50 gal! What a waste of a big tank, I'd just use a Rubbermaid storage tote:D that's great. Can't wait to see this bad boy take off! I wish I could offer insight, I'm not sure how those 2 bohemians will get along??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

personally I would skip the pleco. Just my opinion because it's like for every pound they eat they poop 2 pounds. I rehomed all my plecos because I got tired of vacuuming the poop out on a daily basis.

personally I would skip the pleco. Just my opinion because it's like for every pound they eat they poop 2 pounds. I rehomed all my plecos because I got tired of vacuuming the poop out on a daily basis.

True, i only keep one now, stays small and looks awesome. My old bn once had a 14" poo following her around the tank, that was the day I decided.. never again. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Skip the severum and pleco to keep bioload low. Add the Oscar and a small school of larger tetras/danios as dithers to make it feel more comfortable.

The 90 is a great size for a long term home for a single Oscar, you may find that down the road as the fish matures you'll need to upgrade the filtration a bit but the 406's will last quite some time.

Keep a rigorous water change schedule, feed a high quality food like New life spectrum and you'll have a very happy fish for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks mike I was just typing that out, you beat me to it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No problem that helped me a lot. One thing to the op. Its hard at first to put a small sa/ca in a large tank and watch it grow but the reward is awesome. If you cant do this then the other option is to wait and try to find an adult. I have 2 55gallons right now and 1 has a 4" lyonsi and the other just has 2 2" severums in it When they reach about 6" they will be moved to 75's.
What often happens is people will put large incompatible fish in 1 large tank when the fish are small. It works for a while but eventually the faster growing more aggressive fish will want the tank for him self and take everything else out.

No problem that helped me a lot. One thing to the op. Its hard at first to put a small sa/ca in a large tank and watch it grow but the reward is awesome. If you cant do this then the other option is to wait and try to find an adult. I have 2 55gallons right now and 1 has a 4" lyonsi and the other just has 2 2" severums in it When they reach about 6" they will be moved to 75's.
What often happens is people will put large incompatible fish in 1 large tank when the fish are small. It works for a while but eventually the faster growing more aggressive fish will want the tank for him self and take everything else out.
Very true, one of the hardest things to do is put one 2 inch fish into a massive tank and wait lol, but its worth the reward!

Back
Top Bottom