Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tiger oscar tankmates ???

I wanna buy one or two cichlids just wondering what to get and peoples opinion on it was thinking convicts green terrors or jack Dempsey

Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had good success with jacks but I had. 180g tank

Old 02-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insom1982 View Post
I wanna buy one or two cichlids just wondering what to get and peoples opinion on it was thinking convicts green terrors or jack Dempsey
What size of tank do you have/thinking about?

You would imo have to buy the convict first and let them grow to a fair size before you add the Oscar.

Depending on the size of the tank you could keep other large cichlids such as severum or blood parrot, large plecos, silver dollars and several other things. Just avoid extremely aggressive cichlids [Mod edit - please remember this is a family-friendly forum with young users] and anything that will be able to fit in their mouths.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Got an 80g right now I know tiger oscars are [Mod edit - please remember this is a family-friendly forum with young users] lol I had to get rid of my two Africans as they where picking on the oscars and they where smaller going to talk to my landlord and see if I can get a 120g I'm in an apartment second floor so might be an issue it's hard to find bigger fish for sale
Old 02-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insom1982 View Post
Got an 80g right now I know tiger oscars are [Mod edit - please remember this is a family-friendly forum with young users] lol I had to get rid of my two Africans as they where picking on the oscars and they where smaller going to talk to my landlord and see if I can get a 120g I'm in an apartment second floor so might be an issue it's hard to find bigger fish for sale
It depends on who you ask, some will say 55g is enough for an Oscar others will a 75, I tend to side with the latter. I don't think a JD and an Oscar will get along in a 120.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 150g with 2 Oscars, a jack Dempsey, a firemouth, 2 silver dollars and a pimodella cat. I have a 125g with a flowerhorn, a redtailed shark, a clown loach and 2 sunshine bnps. A 30g Bolivian ram pair and assorted other types of cichlids to be rehomed (I do rescue work).

From personal experience, depending on your tank size, you have quite a few options for single species/ pair feature tank. Dempseys and convicts are notorious spawning machines- I absolutely could not keep my gold convict pair from breeding and had to rehome them. Green terrors are often mislabeled and depending on the true species could be a, literally, big problem- you think you're getting a cool feature fish that will only be about 8 inches, max, but you wind up finding out when it's 12 inches that the specimen you have could easily reach 28 inches.
Depending on how much you have for a budget I would honestly look at electric blue Jack dempseys, firemouths, acara, apistos, rams, kribs, rainbows, jewels or other dwarf or small bodied riverine cichlids. What size is your tank?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

80g is a little small for an oscar and a tank mate you would need at least a 125g I disagree as I had mine into adulthood with jacks for several years but it all depends on the fish more than us especially New world cichlids they have their own personality
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing View Post
80g is a little small for an oscar and a tank mate you would need at least a 125g I disagree as I had mine into adulthood with jacks for several years but it all depends on the fish more than us especially New world cichlids they have their own personality
it's definitely up to the fish. I think you could get away with an Oscar and a Dempsey if it's long versus if it's tall and you can provide ample filtration and hiding spots, you might wind up needing a divider, and be ready frequent pwc... Just from my own experiences.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaenthused View Post
I have a 150g with 2 Oscars, a jack Dempsey, a firemouth, 2 silver dollars and a pimodella cat. I have a 125g with a flowerhorn, a redtailed shark, a clown loach and 2 sunshine bnps. A 30g Bolivian ram pair and assorted other types of cichlids to be rehomed (I do rescue work).

From personal experience, depending on your tank size, you have quite a few options for single species/ pair feature tank. Dempseys and convicts are notorious spawning machines- I absolutely could not keep my gold convict pair from breeding and had to rehome them. Green terrors are often mislabeled and depending on the true species could be a, literally, big problem- you think you're getting a cool feature fish that will only be about 8 inches, max, but you wind up finding out when it's 12 inches that the specimen you have could easily reach 28 inches.
Depending on how much you have for a budget I would honestly look at electric blue Jack dempseys, firemouths, acara, apistos, rams, kribs, rainbows, jewels or other dwarf or small bodied riverine cichlids. What size is your tank?

I know of not ONE species that is mislabeled as a green terror that can get 28 inches?! Peacock bass, dovii, umbie, those all will get that large, but are never mislabeled as a green terror or gold saum. And neither a true green terror or gold saum will get anywhere NEAR 28 inches.

Also, what species do you mean by "acara"? You do realize there are dozens of acara (aequidens and andinoacara sp.) and acara-like species, right? I'm going to assume you are referring to aequidens pulcher, the blue acara?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaenthused View Post
it's definitely up to the fish. I think you could get away with an Oscar and a Dempsey if it's long versus if it's tall and you can provide ample filtration and hiding spots, you might wind up needing a divider, and be ready frequent pwc... Just from my own experiences.

I am not sure you would need a lot of wc in a 80g with an oscar the bio load alone of a single oscar is huge with a tank mate it explodes. 55g is the bare minimum for an oscar and I never recommend the minimum. 75g at least for me so 80g you have an extra 5g or 25g if your going off the bare bones 55g. Not enough a six foot gallon tank just gives you more options and would have a way better success rate for tank mates and a bigger tank is needed for several tank mates

Tags
ate, mate, oscar, tan, tank, tankmate, tankmates, tiger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com