Tiger Oscar with 2 Africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am growing out a tiger Oscar right now that's 3 inches. I have two options on what to do that will follow. The Oscar is currently in a 40g with a fluval 405 and a aquaclear 50 he will remain in this tank for a bit and it will serve as some what of a qt

Option 1
I have a 90g with 2 African cichlids in it currently that are both 6-7" in length there's also a 10" Pleco in the tank. Could I put him in with the Africans? Will they get along if I put him in with them when he's around 5-6"?

Option 2
I replace his 40g with a 55g and have him be the only fish in the tank. And use all my filtration that I currently have in the 55g

Option 1 if it works would be the most ideal for me beings my 90g is in my family room and the 55 would be down in the depths of my basement where he wouldn't be seen as much as I would lIke.

If I can't have him in ith the Africans what can I put in with him in the 90g? The 90 is my dads tank even though he doesn't do anything with it I maintain it and everything but I don't think he would be up to have just one fish in it. Maybe a Oscar and a jack or maybe a Texas cichlid? What are your thoughts?

While i don't agree with or condone mixing new worlds with africans your talking about a cycled tank v.s. an uncycled one right? So if I'm not mistaken you'd have to do a fish in cycle with the oscar and the 90gal.

While i don't agree with or condone mixing new worlds with africans your talking about a cycled tank v.s. an uncycled one right? So if I'm not mistaken you'd have to do a fish in cycle with the oscar and the 90gal.

Well no I would never do a fish in cycle. The 90 is a well established tank its been running about 10 years. The 55g would be cycled before I put the Oscar in it. I would basically put all the decorations in the tank and run sponge filters in it for a few weeks that's are already established and feed it ammonia to cycle it. I would just prefer to have the Oscar in the 90 but it's not a must I can do a 55g instead.

A 55 is no where large enough for an adult Oscar... They need at least a 100 gallon

Iv seen lots of adult oscars in 55g tanks. Please stick to the topic and help me decide what the better choice is because that's my only two options. 55g or 90g

CleverBs said:
Iv seen lots of adult oscars in 55g tanks. Please stick to the topic and help me decide what the better choice is because that's my only two options. 55g or 90g

I have too, But besides the point, dont put him with africans. U will regret it

Um, I'm fully staying to topic. A 55 gallon is not a suitable home for a large bodied fish like an Oscar. Maybe a jack, or a green terror, but not an Oscar. Please don't ask questions if you aren't ready for the scrutiny. With that being said, the 90 would be a much better choice, but not with the Africans in it, however the term "Africans" means little to nothing to me as there are so many different genus and species from the continent of Africa....that scenario just screams dead fish no matter what the two Africans may be...

Um, I'm fully staying to topic. A 55 gallon is not a suitable home for a large bodied fish like an Oscar. Maybe a jack, or a green terror, but not an Oscar. Please don't ask questions if you aren't ready for the scrutiny. With that being said, the 90 would be a much better choice, but not with the Africans in it, however the term "Africans" means little to nothing to me as there are so many different genus and species from the continent of Africa....that scenario just screams dead fish no matter what the two Africans may be...

well iv been working out getting the africans removed so im getting them out I talked my father into getting rid of the 2 africans and putting in the oscar and a jack. I would like to here other peoples opinions on the 55g still however because that would be what would be best for me but I am open to opinions between the two ideas. Im sorry but i dont care much for people who are aggressive with there opinions on tank size because through my experience with fish in both salt and freshwater lots of tank size issues are just opinions based on people. I have kept a sailfin tang very happy in a 75g tank as have many many others but because such and such site suggest they need a 180g tank then thats what people think is mandatory. I dont want to go on and on about this however so I will stop here and hope we can stay on my current issue and not suggest things that arnt a possibility or I would of suggested that as an option.

Put the Oscar in the big tank. Paying close attention to its tank mates. Move the Africans to the smaller tank. Now if those Africans happen to be frontosas that changes everything. I've seen plenty of successful 55gl tanks with shell dwellers and even mbunbas.

Put the Oscar in the big tank. Paying close attention to its tank mates. Move the Africans to the smaller tank. Now if those Africans happen to be frontosas that changes everything. I've seen plenty of successful 55gl tanks with shell dwellers and even mbunbas.

the africans are just 2 Mbuna type cichlids full grown and have been for the last 2-3 years

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I merely stated that a 55 gallon is not big enough to house an adult Oscar. And that may be true about a sailfin tang, but it is not true about an Oscar. These are extremely heavy bodied fish and require more space. Not to mention they have an extremely large bioload. But in a 55 gallon, stunting will more than likely occur. His body will stop growing, but his organs will continue to grow. Remember, fish keeping is about keeping the fish happy, not just ourselves. You asked for opinions, I provided mine. The same opinion has been provided to you in one of the other thread ons the same topic.

And please don't try and assume tone through text. I was not aggressive, nor was I trying to be rude. Just because you read it one way does not always mean it was intended that way ;) and with that, I'm done with this thread, good luck with your decision, hopefully you'll make the appropriate one.

The Oscar needs to be in the 90 alone, and because oscars grow so fast it would be best to put him in the 90 right off the bat. If put in with other fish, it will probably be just a matter of time before the Oscar kills them.

What are the Africans. All you have said is mbuna. I honestly think your best option is move them to the 55 and put the oscars in the 90.

What are the Africans. All you have said is mbuna. I honestly think your best option is move them to the 55 and put the oscars in the 90.

yes this is the plan of what im doing, I dont know what they are all i know is they are random Mbunas. Im going to put them in my 40g tank and put the oscar and a Green terror in the 90g

Unless said African cichlids are frontosa, I would move the Africans to the 55 and give the Oscar the 90. Just my .02

Can you snap a pic of the African guys?

Back
Top Bottom