Tiger Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering getting a tiger oscar. One of the things I am concerned about is their potential size and rate of growth. Do albino tiger oscars and/or red oscars grow as large as the normal tiger oscar? Do they have the same personality as the normal tiger oscar?

Are there any other fish that can be easily trained to eat from your fingers? Preferably one that won't grow so big.

Those oscar all grow large and all have the same "attitude". They are slightly trainable and will eat out of your hand if started young. Mine will jump out of the water 1/2 his body for food. Or just to ask for food. 55gallons for 1 adult is probably prefered.

I am a proud owner of two oscars, one red and the other a tiger. To start off all oscars pretty much grow at the same rate, fast until about 4-5 inches, then it'll go a bit slower. Their personalities range, but develope from the same aspect that they all share... they are very aggresive creatures, which gives them the confidence to get to know their owners. Everytime I pass their tank.. they shoot up wanting to be fed. I usually have to rop it quick because these guys, like all oscars, get excited for food and try to get it before you want them to. One of my oscars accidently trie to swollow my pinky when I was feeding (lucky for me they don't have teeth!). The REALLY important things to have for oscars is a fairly decent sized aquarium (55+ for one oscar, 75+ for a pair). But remember this.. the bigger the aquarium the more diluted any filth in there gets (like uneaten food). This goes hand in hand with filtration, which oscars needs the best of... You need pretty decent filtration to keep these guys happy and heathly. Unfortunately these guys are prone to HITH (Hole in the head disease) when aquariums are too small, causing the water to be easily contaminated (or poor filtartion will also cause this as well).

If you want a fish that won't grow so big but eat from your fingers.. well I would search cichlids and aggressive. I can;t think of any off the top of my head, but I think there are some... it also depends what you consider not too big. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom