tilapia buttikoferi dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchase what appeared to be a perfectly healthy tilapia buttikoferi last week. It was small...about 1 1/2". I added him to a tank with some other cichlids that have resided in there for about 2 weeks or so. On Tuesday, it was breathing heavy and had a huge swollen stomach. Note, I had not fed them yet. Upon throwing food in the tank, I noticed the tilapia buttikoferi was not eating. In my mind, this fish was a goner. The next morning, it was dead. For me, this was pretty unusual. Everyone else in the tank is thriving...

Is this something common with this particular fish? I know there's a disease called "bloat," yes?

Thoughts?

This was bloat. By the time you see it they are already as good as dead ime. What do you feed? I had issues before switching to nls and peas on occasion.

I'm feeding flakes and pellets. What is NLS? Again...all other fish are in perfect health.

What is OP? And I'm sorry to hear about your loss! Could it have just been stress?

I don't think it was stress. This fish was eating 5 minutes after I put him in the tank and totally held his own against the others. Just sayin'... :)

I'm gonna go ahead and ask the usually questions: what are your parameters? Tank size? Stock list? Is there any gas exchange with in the tank (surface agitation, live plants, air stone?)

When i was newer to africans i lost several to bloat. It is very possible the fish already had bloat when he got it. Seeing them balloon out usually happens a day or two before they die and is the last stage of bloat. They could be sick and the op have no idea if he doesnt know what to look for.

Most lfs dont know about bloat ime and feed lower quality food. Just sayin... lol

Freakgecko91 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and ask the usually questions: what are your parameters? Tank size? Stock list? Is there any gas exchange with in the tank (surface agitation, live plants, air stone?)

Same questions. Also, did you cycle the tank. How many fish did you add two weeks ago and were those the first fish in the tank? And to answer your question from earlier, yes bloat is common in african cichlids.

20 high
AquaClear 70
Natural gravel as substrate
No air stone or live plants

Fish are small - 2"

Jack Dempsey
Texas cichlid
Green terror
Sun catfish

This is a temporary home as I will be upgrading to a 90 or 125. This is really more of a grow out tank for my kid until we move up to the larger one.

What is this I have been hearing about feeding peas? Also, what specificity foods do you recommend that are NOT low quality?

I have several south American dwarves and I feed hikari sinking pellets (hard to get food down to the bottom of a 2 ft tank lol) that are meant for herbivorous cichlids. I tend to stick with hikari or NLS (new life spectrum) but have been trying Cobalt lately

If it was only a day or two after your got it, I would bet that it was had a problem while it was still at the store.

PS - the tank has been up and running for about a year. We recently changed from community fish to cichlids. I did a 50% water change 2 weeks prior to adding the new fish.

I feed exclusively nls. Hikari, omega one gold and cobalt are all supposed to be good as well. Blanched, deshelled peas are good for the digestive system. My fish love them so i feed them as a treat once a week.

I feed a mix of cobalt flakes and hikari sinking herbivorous cichlid pellets, and i'm quite happy with them both :)

*just realized I posted basically the same thing earlier haha oops, sorry

Back
Top Bottom