tips or suggestions welcomed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g freshwater aquarium that is filtered by two aquar clear 50s. I have two Jack dempseys and a pleco. One JD is about 2.5inches and the other is still about a inch( same size when i bout it). I got them both at the same time. They seem to be healthy and happy but the smaller one does get chased around once in awhile. I was just wondering if there was aything other fish i could add to my tank?? Or if there was any other JD owners out there that can give me some pointers on keeping these fish healthy and growing full size.

Critter1990 said:
I have a 55g freshwater aquarium that is filtered by two aquar clear 50s. I have two Jack dempseys and a pleco. One JD is about 2.5inches and the other is still about a inch( same size when i bout it). I got them both at the same time. They seem to be healthy and happy but the smaller one does get chased around once in awhile. I was just wondering if there was aything other fish i could add to my tank?? Or if there was any other JD owners out there that can give me some pointers on keeping these fish healthy and growing full size.

Jack Dempseys get 8"-9" long. A 55 is going to be to small them. I'm not an SA Cichlid expert, but I bet JDs would need a 90+ gallon tank.

I have my 7" jack in a 30 gal with a pleco and IMO that tank is too small for him. He will be in there until I get my 55 up and going.

I wouldn't add anymore fish. Some people will tell you that overcrowding will reduce aggression but that doesn't seem fair to the established fish. I suggest maybe adding some more hiding spots for the smaller jack.

cbourg746 said:
I have my 7" jack in a 30 gal with a pleco and IMO that tank is too small for him. He will be in there until I get my 55 up and going.

I wouldn't add anymore fish. Some people will tell you that overcrowding will reduce aggression but that doesn't seem fair to the established fish. I suggest maybe adding some more hiding spots for the smaller jack.

A 55 is to small for any fish that can grow to 8" or 9" fish, IMO.

No one *should* advise to overstock south/central Americans! Wrong continent, and even then, overstocking Africans isn't always the best idea ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. My jack is still really small the 55g he is in will be just fine for now. I do plan on upgrading once he/she gets bigger. I am still new to this forum so how do I see if a member did a topic on JD?

55g is often referred to as the absolute bare minimum for a single JD. I have kept jd's several different times both males reaching 10"+. And sadly your filtration will not be enough when they start getting some real size to them. I run 2 AC110's on my 55 and that's just for a single RD. was also the same basic set up I ran for my jd's.

Anyways this is just my opinions, it's your tank. So enjoy! :)

Thanks for the info. I have some time to upgrade my tank and filtration. This is why i joined this forum to learn from other people that's kept jacks.

Back
Top Bottom