To Many Lake Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricky1947

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Friends I am new to this forum but as any newbie I have alot of question that may sound foolish but if I don't ask then that would make me and even big fool. So here goes,
With there being so many different lake cichlids (Lake Tanganyika,Lake Malawi and Lake Victoria) can these different lake cichlids share the same tank? If so do they have to be paired ,I am not trying breed just have a colorful tank, and what about the feeding habits of so many lake cichlids.

The simple answer is no. The lakes all have different water properties. They also require different feeding to some extent. Now that is not to say that people don't keep them together, it is just not the recommended thing to do.

If you know what you are doing, yes, you can put them together. But unless you research each first beforehand and know that they require the same dietary and parameter needs, it is not a good idea. Most people do not mix the lakes. If you want a very colorful tank, check out Malawi.

I would personally advise against it, the tanganykia fish are more shy and peaceful compared to malawais (mbuna come to mind) and victorian haps.

In my own experience they can be done together but it is rather risky, my brother had a trio of haps and some yellow labs together for 4 months without a problem but when he added a new bit of lava rock the haps became extremely aggressive towards the poor yellows and killed them in a matter of hours.

I think yall are panicking at the disco here, a little... I have Haplochromis Red Tails from Lake Vic in with Labidochromis Hongi and have no problems at all... The first day there was some squabbling, but everyone is fine.

Water parameters are not nearly as important as water QUALITY in the home aquarium, and I believe as long as everyone is equally aggressive you'll be fine... Mine do square off, but I get mostly con-specific aggression within my colonies.

I have seen tons of tanks with Lake Vic haps and Malawians living in harmony together... It's no worse than putting Angelfish in with Swordtails or Mollies...

I believe they are just saying that some can be mixed and some can't. It won't work with just any 2 fish from 2 different lakes.

You need to research the needs (mainly diet) and aggression level and then decide if it would be risky or not to house them together.

Also, I think Jacko was saying that its more risky to mix Tangs with either Malawians or Victorian Haps.....not necessarily the Victorians and Malawians. I see those mixed quite often with good results. :)

Wow... Do I have to add emoticons for preventing everyones feelings from being hurt? I am sorry to have come across sounding rude... no intentions to harm anyone were meant!

Keep in mind each fish has it's own personality in every species.

I have a hap pair from lake victoria, and i have some tropheus and a burundi frontosa and a flame back, and they fought the first day but now its all been smoothed over. great question it helped me as well.

I first started the hobby keeping Mbuna (Malawi). It was only a matter of time where I switched in keeping Tanganyikans exclusively (Tropheus). I don't have experience with mixing the lakes, but I do concur that certain species don't mix due to factors such as diet or aggression. Browsing through this section makes me miss my cichlids but now I'm into the planted tank scene.

I can't wait to get back home.

Semper Fi!
Camp Fallujah, Iraq

Back
Top Bottom