To treat or not to treat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubba643

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got two adult Electric Blue Acara (75% sure 1 male 1 female) in my 60 gallon tank right now. I'm seeing what I assume is spawning behavior(cleaning off flat rock, pairing up, etc). I've also noticed my one small male juvenile dragon blood peacock along with the two acara flashing in the sand substrate. At first it was only a few times daily and maybe one quick flash so I thought little of it. It has since increased dramatically. None show any visible signs of parasite or fungus in fact they look physically more vibrant than ever, still eating and very active.
I checked water yesterday and my water is perfect(thank the Lord!) My question is should I do a parasite treatment and what effect would it have on the spawning or water conditions? Was going to try seachem para guard hoping that would take care of whatever is causing the irritation. I am comfortable identifying ich but past that I'm not very sure of myself as far as diagnosing other forms of illness. I did some research and there are so many possible reasons for flashing that I can't find an answer, especially with nothing visible on the fish to point me in the right direction.

Use a flashlight to shine in /on fish gills and scales to see more clearly.
You may not get to breed if you have an issue and don't treat?
It could just be spawning/defensive/aggressive behavior?
Tank attitudes change when couples form.

I'll do that. It could be aggression but it seems to happen most when one of them is separated swimming solo. If it was only the Acara pair I would lean towards spawning behavior but the fact the dragon blood is also doing it leads me to wonder if it's a parasite breakout.

Wow just hit the blue/purple led setting after first dose of Pimafix and I can see it now. The large female was a rescue from a LFS and I think the scales were so bad I couldn't tell. The white on the sides was so solid it almost just made it look normal. I normally quarantine but she was so unhappy in bag she poked a hole in the bag and I just dumped her in. I can already see a difference an hour into treatment. Here are both sides of her:

IMG_1330.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 152
If you have a parasite pima fix or any fix won't do anything.
At best they [the fixes] are like bactine ,an antiseptic you would put on a scratch. Not even close to the level of Neosporin in that application. At worst snake oil the industry has fooled many with...
Get a real med if you think your fish have a parasite.
If the fix works your fish does not have parasites.

At best they [the fixes] are like bactine ,an antiseptic you would put on a scratch. Not even close to the level of Neosporin in that application. At worst snake oil the industry has fooled many with...

Suggestions for "real meds"

I had no other options today, I ordered some seachem para guide is that similar to the API stuff? I don't have a really great option for fish meds the three stores in my area don't carry squat.

Back
Top Bottom