todays question some minor fraying / nips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's a test. remove the crayfish to a hospital tank or filtered heated bucked for 2 days. see if any more fish get nipped.
but +1 i think this is an aggressive fish case.
can i say, is there a very agressive female in there? it was my female OB that done alot of chasing (if not nipping) whereas my auratus gal ate anything in range.

well its DEF a fish.. as i've just gotten home from work i'm seeing my venustus (my biggest fish) is SHREDDED!! missing half his tail fin & bottom fin along w/ one side fin.. his scales are SHREDDED as well.. i think its my female kenyi doing it as shes the only one who chases everyone..

WHAT DO I DO? hospital the venustus? remove the kenyi to see if it stops? my venustus was PRIMO in the pic yesterday but look at him today :(

Attachments

• image-1343634148.jpg
    image-1343634148.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1163163533.jpg
    image-1163163533.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 61
two things: QT the V and breeder net the kenyi for the grounding. my kenyi was meeaan too. this grounding will show u if it IS the kenyi.

once a fish realises it can be bad and get away with it, it will get worse. and the big problem, when this fish is removed then the next will be almost just as aggressive as it will have learnt the behaviour. i say sort it out asap! thats a messed up venustus :( xx

ok so i'm gonna hit the pet store now to look for a 'breeder net?' & i'll set up my 5.5gal for the V .. i know its cramped but my 10gal hospital is cracked & i'm broke til thursday.. hopefully he'll be ok

i pray this works out cuz if not i'm out tons of money & fish :(

it worked for most of mine that were grounded. only about 2 of the 6 iv ever had to ground stayed too bad, but even they calmed down for a couple of weeks.
personally, any tank for recovery is better than none! my RZ is now almost peak health after having most of her tail eaten and alot of scales savages by an auratus. its a quicker process by raising the temp and i found overfeeding helped. she was then in with juvies so she got plenty of food :)

i think u have to run on what u have atm, and u can use near anything for a hospital tank. even a plastic toy box that very clean with a filter and heater. and breeder boxes in england range from £2.50 to £6 for an adequate cheap one, so thats like $4 to $10 i think? not too bad x

Man that venustus is beat up looks a decent size too.Mbf is right if one fish starts to pick on another then others will soon join in.Cichlids can be mean fish sometimes and I hope you get yours all sorted out :)

ok so i just saw the borleyi & the V goin mouth to mouth.. she also just went after the jake like a mad woman!! & is now chasing everyone!! its gotta be her!! i'm gonna try & net her instead of the kenyi & put the V in my 5g.. :(

Tell me about it every time I do a pwc I have to remove about the same in rocks and cichlid stones plus plants do I can properly vac the bottom.Takes about 2 hours in total.Worth it though :)

FORGOT TO MENTION:
i left my venustus in the tank.. he was hiding like crazy when my borleyi was free & now that she's netted he's back to swimming around, even though its an injured swim :(

i added some salt & fed everyone well. if he looks ANY worse tomorrow, i'll set up the 5.5gal for him.

i gotta wait til payday for some stresscoat.

NEW QUESTION:
will the quarunteen of my borleyi actually stop her violence? i know Mouthy told me she had a fish who was brutal regardless but i figured i'd see if anyone had a solid answer.. i'm assuming it wont stop & i'll have to rehome her :(

OK GUYS -- NEED MORE HELP :)

i have the borleyi quarantined in my tank and the venustus, who i ASSUME was beat up by her, keeeeeps staying right next to her while shes in the net. is he in love or just stupid??

he doesnt look any worse today so i'm guessing it had to be her. how long should i keep her in there? should i just rehome her to be safe? i love my venustus and she's just one i grabbed to fill the tank so he's def staying over her, if need be.

is it possible she wont do it again? i dont wanna stress out my V any more than he has been so i'd rather be safe than sorry.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!! ask me whatever!!

THANKS HOMIES!!!

i dont know about rehoming if they are behaving this way. this may be some very aggressive retailation to the V attempting to spawn. that may explain the other nips etc cos this V is tryin to persuade the worng way.

a solid answer is impossible. its all down to the fish and whether they learn the lesson or see it as a holding pen awaiting its revenge.

ummm..... you DO have some sort of lid on the borleyi breeder net right??

lol im sorry this predicament is arising dear grasshopper x

its cool mrs. mouth-aggi LOL

the fact that he keeps going over to her makes me think that youre right about him trying to get jiggy with her. HOPEFULLY, they both learn to cut the nonsense!!

as per your PM advice,
- remove the venustus so they others dont seem him weakened
- keep the borleyi in the net, and well fed, for about a week
- lower the temp so they have a little less energy

heater is turned down from 80 to 75-76.. i'm gonna set up the 5gal for the venustus right after i put down the comp. i'll get my small filter back from my boy blaze tomorrow, for the week while i keep him in the hospy.

however, i'm actually using my giant net as the breeder net until i can get to the pet stores that have them on thursday. so no, there isnt a lid. why? because she might jump out of it or because she might hit the lid? i have the top of the net out of the water so hopefully she'll stay for another 36 hours.. so far so good

if the V is in there and is not getting worse at all, then he will be fine until judgement day of re-introducing the borleyi. then we shall see mwahahaa

yes with the temp, but if any fish stat shivering or look outright lethargic uv gone too far lol

cichlids are amazing jumpers. and an angry borleyi will be one of them! so a lid will be very advisable. my auratus in the net has a large shell covering it and no escapes, even though she's tried to knock it off!

have the other fish been healing well? x

yeah v-money definitely doesnt look WORSE.. he seems to have his green back a bit, even though he is pretty busted up :( and he isnt hiding behind the plant anymore, hes swimming with everyone and checking on BB in the net once in a while.. hes def swimming better than last night though :)

i'll try to find something for a lid.. maybe one of my plants lol

and my flameback is still missing that chunk, but his arm? fins are healed up and his body is legit.. almost too legit.. too legit to quit!! LOL just jokin around but yeah he looks ok.. my albino is healed up and my firefish/strawberry peacock is prestine, along w/ the mbunas.. even my male jake looks good, nip wise.. his color still stinks, but not as stinky ;)

Back
Top Bottom