Too many cichlids in a 29gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical Aquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29gal (30" long) community tank with 7 tetras and 6 danios, 1 betta(can be moved if this is a problem)

I want to add(slowly!):
2 rams
2 kribs
2 apistos cockatoo
2 apistos borelli

Would this be too many space wise?

It's heavily planted with 7 caves( 4 Terracotta pots, 1 half pot, 1 coconut cave, 1 large pvc)

Thanks!

Any more than one of those pairs will be a nightmare. A 29 gallon is just a taller 20 long, same amount of territory space.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What? Just 1 pair? That's seems a bit less.....

I would think at least 2 pairs would be fine, Rams in the open, apistos by the caves....

Do kribs need/use caves? Are they more top or lower level fish?

What? Just 1 pair? That's seems a bit less.....

I would think at least 2 pairs would be fine, Rams in the open, apistos by the caves....

Do kribs need/use caves? Are they more top or lower level fish?

I had two pairs of rams in a 20 high and it took less than 3 days for one pair to kill the other female. Spawning kribs are a lot nastier than rams. With less than double the territory space of a 20h I wouldn't do more than a single pair. You could try 2 if you're feeling lucky.

I guess that could happen, but apistos and Rams should ignore each other, right?

I think I'll drop the kribs from the list, and I'll start with 1 pair of Rams, 1 pair of apistos, and then see what happens...

I believe overstocking is probably one of the most common aquarium problems encountered. I've done it myself, probably everyone has at one time or another.

I guess that could happen, but apistos and Rams should ignore each other, right?

I think I'll drop the kribs from the list, and I'll start with 1 pair of Rams, 1 pair of apistos, and then see what happens...

I don't have any experience with apistos. All I know is that 3/4 of the ram pairs I have had have been monsters, including the pair I'm spawning right now.

Why not try an angelfish pair and a ram pair? In a tall tank like a 29 gallon that may work.

That will most likely be a constant battle ground. You could do a pair of apistos, if you want a little more action add a 2nd female. Gbr and apistos prefer different temps so typically you wouldn't house them together. I keep a trio of cacs and trio of bolivians in a 40b. They squabble a bit but it's working. Foot print plays a major role as all the dwarfs listed are substrate spawners/dwellers. Lots of different caves and plants helps. Breaks up territories. Your footprint isn't ideal for multiple clans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do have other tanks I could move the fish if it doesn't work, I think I'll try out 1 pair of each...

Btw according to seriously fish, the Rams and apistos have same temperatures ranges, 22-29C...

I do have other tanks I could move the fish if it doesn't work, I think I'll try out 1 pair of each...

Btw according to seriously fish, the Rams and apistos have same temperatures ranges, 22-29C...

More tanks!! That's what happened over here. BTW I'm right;) ask anyone that knows.that's general ranges,they're best kept at specific temps.

Last edited:
Never doubt brookster! Lol hope your stock works out for you.

I already have all the fish so 3 hours ago I added 2 gold Rams(pair, around 2 in) and a pair of pandurini apistos(these may be 2 males...)

So far the cichlids have ignored each other, they swim by each other no problem. The betta and the white skirt tetras are the issue! They have been chasing the new guys like crazy!

I moved the betta, I'll keep monitoring them.

I guess all the issues would appear if either spawn?

Oh boy... better hope that panduro pair is 2 males... a female in spawn will.probably kill everything. So let me ask you something?? Why even ask the community? Is this a brag?
Edit- troll....

That was not my intention, My original question was whether 4 pairs of dwarf cichlids were to many. I was not sure, and you all chimed in, and I changed my plan to 2 pairs, and said I'd try it out-- These fish are not going to kill each immediately! They are all juveniles, very young; acquired from local breeders.

What I don't understand is there is lots of cover, heavily planted, and yet this tiny fish is going to kill all the inhabitants!?!? I've been keeping fish for a long time, These are my first cichlids, I've had them in separate tanks for several weeks, BUT this sounds like a lot of BS to me! IMO

That was not my intention, My original question was whether 4 pairs of dwarf cichlids were to many. I was not sure, and you all chimed in, and I changed my plan to 2 pairs, and said I'd try it out-- These fish are not going to kill each immediately! They are all juveniles, very young; acquired from local breeders.

What I don't understand is there is lots of cover, heavily planted, and yet this tiny fish is going to kill all the inhabitants!?!? I've been keeping fish for a long time, These are my first cichlids, I've had them in separate tanks for several weeks, BUT this sounds like a lot of BS to me! IMO

well cichlids are quite different than tropical. Brookster is king on the ones your asking about.

They may be small, they're still cichlids. Not saying it can't be done it will just most likely be a chaotic tank with shredded fins. Why would you want your nice little dwarf cichlids fins all tore up?? I've kept apisto panduro, by far the most aggressive dwarf I've had. They were in a species only 20long. Only other thing in there was trumpet snails. She would literally patrol the tank and kill any snails she could when in spawn. They're not community friendly. Fact.. how can you call it bs if you have now idea what you're doing?

I'm breeding GBR right now and have done so several times. Brookster is like an expert on apistos and is breeding rams as well. Why would we lie to you? We're trying to help you.

I'm far from an expert, I'm hardly a novice in the grand scheme of apisto keeping. I know what I know.. frankly I don't really care what someone does with their personal tank in the confines of their home.. doesn't phase me a bit.. when someone consults a public forum that I pride myself in belonging to with a grandiose attitude with no real ground to stand?? I have a couple cence I can spare.

I'm far from an expert, I'm hardly a novice in the grand scheme of apisto keeping. I know what I know.. frankly I don't really care what someone does with their personal tank in the confines of their home.. doesn't phase me a bit.. when someone consults a public forum that I pride myself in belonging to with a grandiose attitude with no real ground to stand?? I have a couple cence I can spare.

Preachin it. No one says you're wrong in what you're doing, just we're trying to tell you it probably won't work out long term. If it works, congrats but if it doesn't don't say we didn't warn you.

Op. It may seem like everyone is jumping on you but their just trying to save you the frustration. we all went through it at one time. every so often we see a post like this and yes it works at first. Then in a month or even a year suddenly their back asking why it happened. One thing I learned is people will say Ill keep an eye on it. Thing is the murder spree is often way after light out and your sleeping. I had a salvini wipe out an entire tanks stock over night.
Try what you like but your getting sound advice. If you were not there would be other arguing with each other.
Enjoy your tank

Back
Top Bottom