Too much circulation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 90 gal heavy stocked w mbuna and couple peacocks. Most are 2.5 inch and I have Rena xpl and xpxl canisters for filters and have 2 wavemakers/ circulation pumps - one at front of one end and another at back of other end pointed downward to keep poop from settling in sand and between rocks. Eack wavemaker circulates 500 gph and keep top of sand clean great but the lil fish seem to be always swimming. Is this too much you think? I love having them for cleanliness purposes and tried the smaller version that didn't work well keeping poop from settling. I clean the tank every week either way but I don't want the fish stressing. Any thoughts or experience? You can see them in corner of pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391224279.297102.jpg

I'm sorry I can't answer your original question but do have a question for you. What do you do weekly versus monthly cleanings, if anything?

Peace

I don't think it's a problem because if it was really bothering them they could just go and hide in the rocks

I have the biggest Rena on a 75 fully planted and its al ot of circulation by itself. I'v thought of adding a wavemaker but think it would be to much. You have a ton of circulation! I think salmon migration would love it....Jk but it does sound like a lot. Does it look like your fish fighting the current consistently? Maybe try cutting off the wavemaker off until the day before you do maintaince and see how the fish react.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekly I do about 1/3 to 1/2 water change. Add Seachem prime and salt. Clean inside of glass and wavemakers and lights. Every two to 4 weeks ill chance the polishing pads and completely clean one filter. Alternate to other one the next time.

I have the biggest Rena on a 75 fully planted and its al ot of circulation by itself. I'v thought of adding a wavemaker but think it would be to much. You have a ton of circulation! I think salmon migration would love it....Jk but it does sound like a lot. Does it look like your fish fighting the current consistently? Maybe try cutting off the wavemaker off until the day before you do maintaince and see how the fish react.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some fight and some do not. May be a goo idea to try it off but like I said the crud settles on sand and there's a lot of fish in there. I may do an experiment!

I really like a clean tank. I think it's cuz most are small and the bigger ones claimed the hiding spots. Had it same way in other tank w mbuna and once they grew it was less of an issue. I keep filter outlets pointed up for surface agitation.

I also like good circulation to keep the sand clean.
I had 1 power head at 1250gph and it was great for 1/2 of the tank.
All the dirt/poop accumulated right below it.
So, I added a second 1250gph power head. so I now have one on each side of the 5ft tank (90g). The water is clean and dirt/poop is not accumulating anywhere.
To avoid the "salmon Migration" effect, the power heads do not point down. they kind of point straight ahead and in opposite angles.
I don't see the fish stressed. they are all swimming freely. there are current spots and I see they like to go against it for a workout. :)
Finally, I also do weekly water changes of about 25-30% to lower nitrates.

Excellent. Could you elaborate more on where you place them like toward front or back and how high up? Thanks!

see pics for a better idea.
the one on the left is pointing to the other head.
the one on the right is pointing to the back of the tank.
So I'm trying for a circular current and into the intake of the canister filter.

img_2816372_0_93a0007e1ac010ec723ec1ae8fab9568.jpg

img_2816372_1_2c5cf8d8d82c27da4289c11689e52c3e.jpg

img_2816372_2_d6efd66b8779fc1ed16e47365f7f18de.jpg

Back
Top Bottom