too much current for angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 29 gallon setup I run a UGF, an Aquaclear 200, and a Tetra Whisper 30. The water moves pretty well but it doesn't seem excessive. Of course excessive is a relative term. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this is too much current for an angelfish to be happy? I'm thinking of adding a Penguin 100 gph biowheel when I take out the UGF. That would add more current.

I don't see it as a problem. Do you have any decorations or plants in the tank to break the current? That might help a bit if it concerns you.

no angel yet

I was only concerned that the angelfish might be aggravated or stressed by the current. I have not gotten the fish yet but I was trying to learn as much about the angelfish before I brought it home. One website said something about too much current being a bad thing. Thanks.

With or without the UGF, the filters you have are more than enough for your 29. I like UGHs myself. You can even use your smaller HOB to power it. The angel should not have any problem with HOS running. :D

taking out UGF

I'm gonna take out the UGF b/c I'm gonna change to sand. I like having more than enough filtration b/c filters are pretty cheap.

Don't worry about the current. There will be calmer spots in the tank, and if the current bothers your angels they will hang out in the calmer areas, and just cut through the areas of higher current to get to the other calmer areas. I am running two fluval 404's which pump oout a lot of current. The central spots with higher current are just pass through zones for the angels, and the sides with lesser current are where they hang out.

Back
Top Bottom