Total recall on my 55 lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the break down is in motion already rehome most my fish today and got rid of my decor and substrate now the big question is I am going to do a male peacock setup I also wanna add some mabunas what would be some good mabunas to mix with peacocks please add photos with post thanks

So the break down is in motion already rehome most my fish today and got rid of my decor and substrate now the big question is I am going to do a male peacock setup I also wanna add some mabunas what would be some good mabunas to mix with peacocks please add photos with post thanks

It is not recommended to stock Mbuna (pronounced boo-nah) with Peacocks. Here is an invaluable Lake Malawi resource, I'd suggest reading through it multiple times.

Lake Malawi and Aquarium Stocking Cichlids - Aquarium Advice

I have peacocks with mbuna and have little to no problems. They show territory the same way and both respect each other. I have some yellow labs, german reds and a venistus in the same tank. So in other words, a mbuna a peacock, and a hap. They chase each other around as they normally would. Some believe you should only keep fish with fish from there same area, which they are, but rarely come in contact with one another. IMO, you should be fine. Just remember to overstock, over filter. And do regular water changes greater than or equal to 50% a week. As for fish, make sure to have between 10 and 20 fish. My rule for filtration on my 55 gallon, is to cycle the tank 10 times an hour. I have a 400 gph aqueon hob filter, and am purchasing a 350 gph filstar canister. So my tank will cycle at 15 times an hour. My water is a bit cloudy now, but when that new filter comes in, I should be great.

As for mbunas to add, you could do yellow labs, zebras, really anything thats not extremely aggressive. Heres my tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130820_215911.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130820_215911.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 77
Im not big into africans. But the little i do know about them is haps should never go in a tank smaller than 6'. And mixing mbuna and haps and peacocks is asking for trouble. Bmarine will probably back me up if he finds this thread.

Im not big into africans. But the little i do know about them is haps should never go in a tank smaller than 6'. And mixing mbuna and haps and peacocks is asking for trouble. Bmarine will probably back me up if he finds this thread.

Yeah, I agree with the haps thing, the venistus was supposed to only grow up to 5" until I went home and Googled it. Hood thing that fs is far enough away that I dont go there. Only for ro water when im in town.

I have 1unidentified hap and 1 yellow lab in with my 4 peacocks in a 75g. I am going to get more peacocks and maybe a few more peaceful mbuna when I upgrade to a 125g. I think with proper space and stocking and hiding places with breaks in line of sight (i.e. floating plants, driftwood) it can work. I can't attach any more photos, but I have an album of my peacock tank on my profile if you want to see

I didn't really look hard, but haven't seen info. on it on home page. How much is that cbourg?

Back
Top Bottom