Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Total recall on my 55 lol

So the break down is in motion already rehome most my fish today and got rid of my decor and substrate now the big question is I am going to do a male peacock setup I also wanna add some mabunas what would be some good mabunas to mix with peacocks please add photos with post thanks

Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostking010 View Post
So the break down is in motion already rehome most my fish today and got rid of my decor and substrate now the big question is I am going to do a male peacock setup I also wanna add some mabunas what would be some good mabunas to mix with peacocks please add photos with post thanks
It is not recommended to stock Mbuna (pronounced boo-nah) with Peacocks. Here is an invaluable Lake Malawi resource, I'd suggest reading through it multiple times.

Lake Malawi and Aquarium Stocking Cichlids - Aquarium Advice

Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostking010 View Post
I have peacocks with mbuna and have little to no problems. They show territory the same way and both respect each other. I have some yellow labs, german reds and a venistus in the same tank. So in other words, a mbuna a peacock, and a hap. They chase each other around as they normally would. Some believe you should only keep fish with fish from there same area, which they are, but rarely come in contact with one another. IMO, you should be fine. Just remember to overstock, over filter. And do regular water changes greater than or equal to 50% a week. As for fish, make sure to have between 10 and 20 fish. My rule for filtration on my 55 gallon, is to cycle the tank 10 times an hour. I have a 400 gph aqueon hob filter, and am purchasing a 350 gph filstar canister. So my tank will cycle at 15 times an hour. My water is a bit cloudy now, but when that new filter comes in, I should be great.

As for mbunas to add, you could do yellow labs, zebras, really anything thats not extremely aggressive. Heres my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130820_215911.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	193589  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im not big into africans. But the little i do know about them is haps should never go in a tank smaller than 6'. And mixing mbuna and haps and peacocks is asking for trouble. Bmarine will probably back me up if he finds this thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post
Im not big into africans. But the little i do know about them is haps should never go in a tank smaller than 6'. And mixing mbuna and haps and peacocks is asking for trouble. Bmarine will probably back me up if he finds this thread.
Yeah, I agree with the haps thing, the venistus was supposed to only grow up to 5" until I went home and Googled it. Hood thing that fs is far enough away that I dont go there. Only for ro water when im in town.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have 1unidentified hap and 1 yellow lab in with my 4 peacocks in a 75g. I am going to get more peacocks and maybe a few more peaceful mbuna when I upgrade to a 125g. I think with proper space and stocking and hiding places with breaks in line of sight (i.e. floating plants, driftwood) it can work. I can't attach any more photos, but I have an album of my peacock tank on my profile if you want to see
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just seeing if I've figured out how to post photosfrom my tablet now that my quota maxed for attachments
Instagram

Instagram
Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleybeth30 View Post
just seeing if I've figured out how to post photosfrom my tablet now that my quota maxed for attachments
Instagram

Instagram
If you become a supporting member than your picture attachments are virtually endless.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't really look hard, but haven't seen info. on it on home page. How much is that cbourg?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleybeth30 View Post
I didn't really look hard, but haven't seen info. on it on home page. How much is that cbourg?
$15 a year I think. Look in the FAQ section.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com