Totally Clueless!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erickC.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an assortment of Cichlids in a 110 gal tank. I am buying a new house and will be moving. You would think I would be freaking out about the school districts and my mortgage payment but no. I need to know how I will move my 20+ fish from point A to point B. I have a 55gal but my son's turtle is in there now. The only empty tank I have now is a 29 gal. How do I do this without loosing any fish????

Yes there are some I have been eying at Menards that are real cheap. My worry is I have to empty my tank. Move the tank. Set the tank back up. Get the water back to the right perimeters. Then add the fish. Just sounds like a lot of moving parts. It scares the heck out of me. Over night power outage cost me 12 fish a few months ago I can lose anymore.

They'll be fine in a big tub for no longer than a day. Put a bubbler and some live plants {if possible} and they'll be fine! But yes it does depend on how long the trip is. IMO If it's in the window of 1-10 hours you'll be fine with no bubbler and/or live plants, If it's going to be past that I *highly* recommend a bubbler and/or some live plants. I'm only saying this because it's a large Amount of fish, and fish need lots of oxygen especially when stressed.

The distance to your new home is a critical bit of information.

Moving across town:
If you have a good relationship with a LFS, they might setup a tank for you and then when you get YOUR tank setup, you could go get your fish.

Otherwise, get some tubs (or coolers), and some bubblers (battery operated). Your LFS might even loan you some things.

Here's a link to some other people moving with fish. You will do just fine. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/bought-a-house-need-to-move-my-fish-128787.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/moving-to-a-new-home-how-to-move-fish-tank-129370.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/any-tips-for-moving-a-50-gallon-tank-63754.html

It's not going to be as difficult as you think. Just get a bunch of rubber tubs (4 or 5). Bubblers are not needed unless you are traveling for days. Think of it this way people ship fish all the time and they stay in a bag of water for days. I had a package get lost and the fish was in shipping for 7 days and was fine when I received it ( I am not recommending keeping yours in tubs for that long) but 3 days is fine.

You can keep them in the tubs for a few days. I have kept a cichlid in a 5 gallon bucket for 3 days while allowing the hierarchy to change in the tank. I assume you are keeping your old filter media gravel and such so you wont have a long cycle to go through. You can get the tank up and add the fish the same day.

I have moved a saltwater tanks 4 hours away. That is a little more difficult because you have to bring most of the water with. All fish survived.

I moved my 125, 45, 36, two 10 gallons, 6.6 and two five gallons over the summer. I did it in two parts because of the number of tanks, but what I did was take out all the decor, heaters, filters. Empty all the tanks pretty low. Catch and bag all the fish like they do at the fish store. Then I placed all the bags in a plastic bin to keep them upright. I put my bigger cichlids in a bag of their own and 2-4 depending on the bag size and fish size. As soon as I got to the new place I started putting tanks together and filling them up. I moved an hour and half and did all the tanks 45 and under at once and the 125 by its self. Fish once bagged will be fine for a while. I've had fish go through 3 day shipping to me and be perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom