Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tough tall plant

I have 1" of organic covered with 3" of quartz sand. I am looking for a plant (not easily chewed) that can give me coverage across an area in the back of my tank; 16" across, 28" tall and no more than 3" in depth, 150gallon with (8) 6" aggressive cichlids any of which could take a sand bath at any time.

And YES I understand that the fish will try and thwart me but I'm not giving in, I'm getting creative. The plants will be behind a buried rock ledge 3" in front of back glass. The plants should be protected from diggers behind this ledge. I'm 90% sure that the buried stone ledge will prohibit ripping up or digging, the problem is nipping

That leaves toughness and tallness, I need something tall and tough.

I'm protecting it with some tall silks. this will give them time to root raising the possibility that the roots will become so strong and protected that the plant will continue growing after nipping

I'd also like any opinions on the best sources as I've actually saw foreign sites on the net. I also remember something about snails or something like that

Thanks
MeCasa

Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tough tall plant

Look in to jungle val! That's the first thing that pops into my head!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How tall do you want it? Most cichlids from what I have heard, (I dont do plants cause they are a waste of my money) will leave anubias alone. You could mount on some driftwood to make the whole thing taller
Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want full height if possible which is 28", however my last couple of setups had artificial so I need to learn as I go. My tank is 6' long and I'm only putting the live plants 16" wide in one section of the back and I've done some things to give them protection.

I'll read up on anubias. I know that keeping plants alive will be tedious which is why I stopped in the past. But this is my granddaughter's first aquarium and she wants to try and I believe she deserves the chance.

Here's a picture of some fake plants that I actually had live a long time ago and I remember that they ripped easy but always grew back.

Does anybody know what these are?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fake anarchis, cichlids will annihilate that stuff, like a salad bar..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That figures

The last time I had plants in my tanks I was raising vicious gouramis

I went to great extremes to design and build a protected area where the plants will be very hard to attack. Although I understand that a bored Dempsey can get creative.

I'll find something

Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I'm getting there.

Crinum Natans and a couple of Italian Vals on either side

The Crinium is a slow grower but it gets tall with tough fronds

The Italian Vals are tall and just as important they're narrow which means I can keep them back in the protected nook

Thanks

Tags
plant, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com