Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Transforming South Am. Cichlid into an African Cichlid?

Let me begin with tanks and fish occupying them.

55g 2oscar, sun cat, common pleco, black shark

29g 1 blood parrot, 3 jewel cichlids , 1 synodontis eupterus, 2dojo loaches, 3clown loach, recently added 2 convict cichlids--- heard they do very well with jewel cichlids

30g community guppies mollies zebras (the oscar/shark lunchbox)

The only fish of decent size in the 29 are the dojo loaches (4") and the syndontis eupterus (2.5"). The fish in the 30 are breeding like crazy and are all inbred so they're just gonna be oscar supper.

How big do these syndontis eupterus get? The one I have resembles a common pleco but has bright spots on its back, a very high dorsal fin, and a temperament to give my black shark a push of his buttons.

Any wall-hugger catfish/loach that breeches 6 inches will have the honor of joining the oscars scrap collecting (except for the africans of course). The setup in my cleaning breeding 29g is superb with a coral rock, small cave and a coral decor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0185_183.jpg (111.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0186_158.jpg (117.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0189_170.jpg (121.9 KB, 64 views)

Old 05-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Black shark - Labeo chrysophekadion

That syno gets to about 9".

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you all for your help in setting up my first 2 aquariums. All info has been taken into consideration and used appropriately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0191_104.jpg (125.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0193_376.jpg (122.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really think you should part with the black shark or get a much bigger tank for him. He can get to an eventual size of almost 3 feet long and 15 pounds! It will needs tons of food, space, and probably hundreds of gallons of water.

Check out some pics and info here:
http://fishbase.org/Summary/speciesS...hrysophekadion

Also, they are known to get more aggressive with age.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Between 1 and 2 feet is more likely rok, and the 50 will be suitable.
I'm thinking about setting the black shark with the oscars again. They did very well together for about 6 months.
check this: http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary...y.php?id=12102
and
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2600

Blood parrot compatible w/ dwarf african cichlids? I got a feeling my parrot cichlidae is an african mut.

This black shark is awesome when one to a tank and when under the correct water conditions. Dark soil and caves/rocks etc are good with proper balance of plants. Maybe smaller red-tips>af cichs for this particular tank?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't really get why you want me to check those links? Fishbase is very reliable for fish size and scientific names. 90 cm is just about 3 feet. It might be more likely that it'll only get to 2 feet long but that's still too big for a 50g. What is the width on that tank anyway?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

dimensions on the 50 are 36"Lx16"W(@bow)x18"H

That's a different species of fish than the one I have. Granted the particular shark on the fishbase page is female it looks far off from the fish I have-- isn't that clear in the picture?

How do you feel about the 29g? My 2 clown loaches have just lit up in color since I got them from the LFS a few months ago. Still small but I'm feeding frequently in high protein amounts. Bloodworms are their daily favorite and inhibit a very active clown loach duo. Three african cichlids or four dwarf ones ought to work out well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0209_824.jpg (98.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clown loaches are schooling fish, 3 is the minimun number that should be kept, more is better. They grow slowly, but if properly cared for, will go over 12".
Old 06-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Schooling fish when younger, true, however when they get older they prefer to be more solitary yeah? When I first got clown loaches several months ago they went into the 30g community tank which is planted well and has almost no hiding spaces, so they did not do well there at all. This goes to show how important research and knowing the species of fish are.

Thanks for the advice toddnbecka. Going to check out a few LFS's for some bright and plump ones to add to the collection now that the water quality is really coming together.

(the following afternoon) found a nice healthy one and dropped em with the jewel cichlids... they all so tiny right now but eat rabidly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoK
I really think you should part with the black shark or get a much bigger tank for him. .
RoK I highly appreciate your feedback and do not mean to question or disrespect your advice. I've read that a black shark and oscars do very well together, and so they have. Also, these fish occupy different quarters of the aquarium. In regard to feeding the oscars take hikari cichlid pellets and cichlid sticks by tetramedley (i think is the brand). These keep them from turning the tank into a swamp and still enable enough food escaping them to turn edible portions over to tankmates. I supplement with shrimp pellets and brine shrimp works good cuz its like they just swirl it around for the surrounding organisms.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback. Stay tuned for updated aquatic pics along with water test conditions.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clown loaches never become solitary, even when fully grown they still school together.

Tags
african, african cichlid, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com