Traumatized Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emclenaghan

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I was a kid I had a 37gal tank with a few fish that apparently were not supposed to get along well but did. Which is why when I set up my new 55 gal I purchased 2 oscars and a jack dempsey. It worked before right? Wrong! The JD took a trip back to the store yesterday after a very long week of bullying the oscars and now the poor guys won't come out of the safety of their favorite plant.

I am thinking there is nothing I can do to coax them out. Food hasn't worked yet...am I wrong?

I have one Oscar and one jack. And they are best friends. The chance that oscars and jacks will get along is rare. And it depends on the situation. More room the better but for these fish personality does matter. I matched my jacks personality to my oscars before they ever met. And as for your O, it's sad but all the fish I've seen get bullied stay kind of scared and hiding for good. :( but maybe with a little time he'll get better. If anything youd want more oscars, like six. But then you need a huge tank, like 90 gal plus.

If anything youd want more oscars, like six. But then you need a huge tank, like 90 gal plus.

There is no way you'll ever keep 6 oscars in a 90 gallon tank without 4-5 leaving in a box.

As for the original posters question, oscars are the biggest drama queens ever. Give them a few days without being stressed and they will come around. I'm sure you know this but you'll need to upgrade that 55 in a few months trying to keep 2 oscars. The problem with 2 oscars is there is no way to sex them and if by chance you have 2 males then after they mature you'll only have one.

My LFS said I could put electric blue J.D. with convicts. Does that sound right or are they trying to make some sales knowing the outcome?

I haven't kept that combination, but I know convicts can certainly defend themselves... I would wait until someone who has kept that combination responds though. Perhaps start a new thread on that if you don't get a response.

Thanks for the advice guys. I finally found a small fish store about 30 minutes from my house called Cichlid World that sells, almost exclusively, and specializes in cichlids. The guy there suggested that the more fish you have, the better they get along so I ended up picking up an albino Oscar and a couple convicts. After introducing them to the tank the two tiger oscars decided to come out of hiding. Everyone is getting along great, no more drama thus far...

When it comes to combining any species of Cichlid, I will second and stress that the behavior of the individual fish is one of the most critical factors. Sometimes things work that normally do not because you have a less dominant fish then is normal for its species.

Another is the footprint of the tank. The more area, the less likely disputes over territory will occur. I've noticed that if there are numerous fish, the less likey a single cichlid will be singled out and bullied over territory disputes.

Convicts work with Jacks. I currently have 2 cons, 2 jacks, 1 turquoise severum, 1 white oscar, 1 red devil, 1 redbay snook, and a female jag in a 155 gal. The only issue is sometimes the snook and devil have a stare down and head shake over where they feel their areas should be divided at. No actual lip locking or actual fighting. Keep in mind this tank is 5ft x 2ft x 2ft lots of footprint.

Also I think the oscar being white makes him seem less intimidating to the fish. In a group of the same species of Cichlid, the less dominant Cichlids appear pale to white where the dominant one will display it's colors more vividly.

Thanks for the advice guys. I finally found a small fish store about 30 minutes from my house called Cichlid World that sells, almost exclusively, and specializes in cichlids. The guy there suggested that the more fish you have, the better they get along so I ended up picking up an albino Oscar and a couple convicts. After introducing them to the tank the two tiger oscars decided to come out of hiding. Everyone is getting along great, no more drama thus far...

With regards the convicts, I hope you got two females. Two males will likely kill each other, while a male and a female will try to breed and could kill everything else (even an Oscar) defending their young.

I am not really sure what I have yet, they are too small. I will just move them to their own tank if there turns out to be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom