Treating ich in a african cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toddster180

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have just noticed a few white spots on my female red empress which looks like white spot(ich) any advise on what medication to use and what's the procedure to get rid of it , thanks

I suggest the natural way first. if that doesn't work, go for medication.

natural way: crank up the heater to 84 and add aquarium salt.

Ick spreads so isolating a fish to treat it might not work. Your whole tank needs to be treated just in case. Good luck.

If you have to do meds, API has a product for ick.

I suggest the natural way first. if that doesn't work, go for medication.

natural way: crank up the heater to 84 and add aquarium salt.

Ick spreads so isolating a fish to treat it might not work. Your whole tank needs to be treated just in case. Good luck.

If you have to do meds, API has a product for ick.

+1 this is by far the best way to handle ich in a tank. I would like to add that the temp needs to be increased to 86 degrees for maximum effectiveness however. Leave it like that until 1 week after the last sign of ich disappears.

Just be sure not to do both medication and heat treatment at the same time as it an cause fish death.

So definatly not increase the temp alittle bit ? To increase cycle of ich so the meds can work quicker ?

I'd also add: check your stock and ensure they can take the treatment.
can all handle the heat?
can all handle some salt?
can all handle whatever medication you put in?

I lost all fish (6 fish) once because of the treatment not ick.

Nope, you should never use any medications when you are heat treating ich. Truthfully, you don't even need salt. Heat alone will kill the ich.

I always keep my tank water at 80 degrees as well as aquarium salt. Never had. Problem with ich

Back
Top Bottom