Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tropheus moorii frustration

I tried Tropheus moorii about a year ago and could just not seem to keep them alive. They are so cool looking that I would love to try them again, but I won't if I can't give them the conditions they require. I have a 55 gallon tank with only 7 africans in it. When I bought a moorii I stopped feeding the others regular foods and just fed everyone spirulina flakes and thrawed frozen spinach. I kept the water immaculate. Plenty of hiding places. Hard water, high pH. What's the deal? Is it true that you have to have at least 10 of them living together to get them to thrive? They cost $25 a piece, so that's a LOT out of my price range.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tropheus Moorii does not require at least ten individuals to strive. I have kept both Tropheus Moorii and Dubosii on several occasions and had good success with both. One thing about Moorii to consider is that these fish lose a lot of thier appeal when they become adults. Not only do they lose much of thier color, they also, in my expierence become billegerent jerks harassing other fish, even other Cichlids severly. You may want to consider a new species altogether.

Tags
moor, tropheus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com