Trouble with EBAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebakeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon that has been running for ~6 months, now doing ~50% weekly WC's, temperature 80*F, 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH approx. 7.6. Currently have 5 angelfish (scalare, about 40% grown), small groups of black neon tetras and platys, and a pair of bristlenose plecos.

About 1.5 months ago I added a female electric blue acara. She has been healthy, but spent all her time surfing the glass up and down, and would rarely eat. After a week I added a male EBA, which settled her down and sure enough I soon had EBA fry! I did not remove them from the tank however, and they all died or were eaten. About 1.5 weeks ago the smaller male EBA started hanging in the top corner of the tank, not moving around too much or eating, and was turning whiter. I went out and got a hospital tank set up yesterday and moved him over, but by then he was breathing heavily at the bottom of the tank, and he died overnight. No external signs of ick, etc.

Meanwhile back in the main tank, the original female EBA has returned to glass surfing. What can I do to settle her down? The LFS is out of EBA's, and she likely wouldn't want a different male. Would another SA/CA cichlid breed keep her occupied? I realize fish psychology is hit or miss. Thanks!

Where'd you get the new male? Are you treating with anything?
Pics of female and male?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom