Trying to indentify a couple of fish.. Any help would be awesome..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The original second picture is NOT a convict! Maybe a hybrid, but no pure convict. The first one is NOT african, is it amphilophus labiatus, AKA a red devil. Note the think lips (which is where the latin name labiatus is derived from). The last two are in fact convicts, however, I am not sure on the sex as they can be quite hard to accurately sex.

Umm, you weren't right? You said it was a tilapia species lol red devils are central american, tilapias are african haha and no, not always, in that first pic, the fish behind it is also a red devil. Notice how they both have the slanting head and same body shape. They can be anywhere from red/orange to greenish, to black, and a mix of all those in between.

The real question is how did you obtain all these "mystery" fish!?!?! And what size tank is this? A single red devil is going to need its own 55 gallon, and are almost always too aggressive for tank mates

I had these fish given to me. I was told they were all red devils and convicts but wasn't sure on a couple of them. I have 5 tanks ranging in size from 6ft to 2ft. I am trying to separate the breeds into their own tanks. I have hongi cichlids and brittle nose catfish also.

View attachment 118750

This one is approx 25 cms long

View attachment 118751

I have a few of these.

The first fish is definitely an Amphilophus sp. From the length of the rostrum, I'd guess a red devil, Amphilophus labiatus. Most commercial red devils have midas cichlid, A. citrenellus, ancestry in them as well these days, at one point the two were considered a single species. Both species have piebald, red/orange, white, and barred color morphs. There is nothing unusual about the color other than it is not the color morph normally seen in the hobby.

The second fish is not a pure bred convict. I doubt it's a pure bred anything. Looks like most of the convict cichlid/parrot cichlid crosses I've seen, and that would be my guess. Little doubt IMO it's a hybrid.

WYite

Looks like a firemouth/convict hybrid, with the coloration of a convict, and the body shape of a firemouth, also the reddish chin of the firemouth.

Since you were given convicts and midevils (midas x red devil), there is a good chance that the second picture in a cross between the midevil and convict.

Or it could simply be a barred midevil.

I have separated all the fish into the tanks of only that breed or what I think is the only breed until I can work it all out properly.. I didn't want the person who I got them from to do the royal flush with them.. They couldn't keep them anymore and I have a soft spot for all animals.. Lol it's almost like a zoo here now.. I have a galah that thinks its a little boy that plays with trains and matchbox cars.. 2 rescued German short haired pointers.. And 2 cats.... So figured what's 40 fish to add to the equation..

Back
Top Bottom