Turtles!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most likely the turtle will eat the cichlids if the cichlids don't kill it while it is small. Softshells are sensitive and nippy cichlids could easily tear it up or at least cause shell infections. If that doesn't kill the turtle it will grow very large (may outgrow that tank on its own) and end up killing the cichlids (they have very strong, sharp jaws). Although I do think it is possible in general to mix fish and turtles if done right, I don't think this situation favors that.

the turtle will kill the cichlids if they dont kill it first. either way,someone gets killed

andresdeo said:
Which turtle/fish combination would work, just out of curiosity.

Well in my 55 gallon tank I have 1 blue gourami, 1 comet goldfish, and 1 fancy gold fish. Just FYI they all came with the tank and the previous owners were just going to kill the fish so I took them. The gold fish are pretty large that's why they aren't bothered and I don't know about the gourami though, my turtle just likes it.

Fast large fish have the best chance. Most turtles are okay if they grow up with the fish and are only fed pellets and never live food (which is healthier anyways). Any of the sliders, cooters, and painteds are a good option. I even had a common snapper with goldfish and smaller turtles for a long time because he grew up with them, was only fed pellets, and was kept fed (but I wouldn't recommend trying a snapper, this was more likely an exception).

I've found that Cooters or Sliders and Convicts are one of the best combos, the fish and turtle both are tough enough to hold their own against each other without injury and any baby convicts are turtle snacks.

I've found that Cooters or Sliders and Convicts are one of the best combos, the fish and turtle both are tough enough to hold their own against each other without injury and any baby convicts are turtle snacks.
i highly doubt a convict would make it with a turtle. sliders get like 12 inches across and kill all fish that dont kill them first

i highly doubt a convict would make it with a turtle. sliders get like 12 inches across and kill all fish that dont kill them first

Mine have been together for about 5 years now without a problem. As you can see they are in great health
Skippy
img_1454078_0_fe7a113821e6c49ef66c9ac20d8b4185.jpg

Convict
img_1454078_1_0d461a4398974f3a8b2311b66de18d7f.jpg

It also has A LOT to do with how they are raised. Most turtles may not work out as good as this situation. IME the best way is to raise the turtles with fish and only feed pellets. Live food will increase aggression. I wouldn't call it a rule, but I would't call it exceptional either.

Back
Top Bottom