types of cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
butterfly_koi said:
Allot of activity is best, I'm not the kind of person that likes to set up a big tank for just one fish. I of course don't want it to be too large. How many fish can you put in the 75 comfortably without overstocking

It really depends on the particular species to be honest :) its hard to make a generalization

It's an apistogramma of some species, which are all dwarf species. I LOVE Apistos! So much personality and spunk!

*to be specific, it's a male Apistogramma hongsloi :) I thought it was, but just had to do a google search to make sure haha

That's why I suggested my first scenario of a community, because it allows you to really get your feet wet (haha pun :p) in the world of cichlids, while still allowing you to stay in your comfort zone! Try looking up laetacara curviceps, they are a smaller species, but larger than a dwarf species. Keyholes get 4-6 inches and do EXCELLENT in communities and IMHO are one of the most underrated cichlid species

Those are pretty! I was wondering on the overstocking issue because I see allot of cichlid tanks in doctor offices etc. and they always seem to have allot of fish in their tanks

Well Africans are different than south Americans. Most large/medium new worlds have a larger bioload compared to Africans of similar size, and some say to overstock an African tank as to keep aggression issues down, as one fish will not be picked on constantly. New worlds typically prefer to have their own space and overstocking doesn't quite work the same

jetajockey said:
I would not use the display tanks in dr offices, restaurants, etc as a guide for stocking anyhow. Even the tanks in LFS aren't usually good examples.

I agree as well that's why I came here first :) my Dr has a very large pleco in with the cichlids in a 75, I kinda feel bad for it seems like it can't swim around much

The reason I suggested natives is because native tanks are very uncommon in the hobby. The other nice thing is it is usually affordable, depending on your location and/or ability to source specimens. That in itself can become an adventure, just be careful, it's very addictive.

Depending on what you stock you could still get a lot of color, some interactive medium bodied fish, as well as several schoolers.

Here's an example of a warmouth/dollar sunfish combination. I believe the guy that posted them has a few of each in this particular setup. From nanfa.org
2338183170102862620S600x600Q85.jpg

The african tank idea is definitely a solid one, many people here have them so they can advise on stocking if you go that route as well.

native fish arefish found in your area. like in the US some native fish would be bass, bluegill, sunfish, trout, perch, and walleye to name a few.
ive always wanted a native tank, but some of these fish need very large tanks.

Oohhhh I see! So I'm going to set up a cichlid tank in my 75 gallon, any recommendations on types?

You can mix south american and african cichlids... just make sure the africans are a little smaller. They tend to be more agressive. Just dont overstock and follow the rule of thumb: 1 inch of adult size fish per gallon of water. If you have 75 gallons. you can get probably 15 cichlids.

native fish arefish found in your area. like in the US some native fish would be bass, bluegill, sunfish, trout, perch, and walleye to name a few.
ive always wanted a native tank, but some of these fish need very large tanks.

Yoou actually dont need that large of a tank and its very cheep to setup. get a tank and a filter and your set.

Last edited by a moderator:
imtcurveball said:
You can mix south american and african cichlids... just make sure the africans are a little smaller. They tend to be more agressive. Just dont overstock and follow the rule of thumb: 1 inch of adult size fish per gallon of water. If you have 75 gallons. you can get probably 15 cichlids.

I don't know where you got this info but the 1 inch per gallon rule is a lie a example is can I throw a 12 inch inch Oscar in a 12 gallon tank.

And you should not mix them because of water requirement differences and aggression issues.

imtcurveball said:
Yoou actually dont need that large of a tank and its very cheep to setup. get a tank and a filter and your set.

You do need a large tank for natives because they come from very large areas much bigger than Any tank and the only natives for tanks under 55 gallons are daces and minnows like shiners and fatheads.

But your 75 gallon is plenty for warmouth and other small sunfish.

Last edited by a moderator:
josh7 said:
You do need a large tank for natives because they come from very large areas much bigger than Any tank and the only natives for tanks under 55 gallons are daces and minnows like shiners and fatheads.

But your 75 gallon is plenty for warmouth and other small sunfish.

Where do you think all the cichlids in the hobby originally come from?

I understand that I'm just saying if she was to catch wild fish IRS different than buying fish which were born in aquaria and always have been in confined spaces I'm done with this though because I'm nit going to hi jack her thread.

Back
Top Bottom