Unexpected aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

futurestep9169

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added two tank mates today to my tank that currently holds my 4.5" Oscar. I got a large pleco (5 inches) and a Firemouth. I thought for sure the Oscar would have some trouble with the Firemouth, but to my surprise he only took one snap at him, and now has been harrassing the Pleco! It has been about an hour since adding both of them, and every time I walk by, the Pleco is wiggling his tail to fight off the Oscar! :( Do you think I should take the Pleco back?

I added two tank mates today to my tank that currently holds my 4.5" Oscar. I got a large pleco (5 inches) and a Firemouth. I thought for sure the Oscar would have some trouble with the Firemouth, but to my surprise he only took one snap at him, and now has been harrassing the Pleco! It has been about an hour since adding both of them, and every time I walk by, the Pleco is wiggling his tail to fight off the Oscar! :( Do you think I should take the Pleco back?

What size tank? A pic would help out a lot.

55g. I know, I know - an Oscar needs at least that to himself. But 1) I'm not upgrading and 2) I'm trying to find a pet store to take him so that I can start my tank over with less aggressive fish. So this is it for now. I am just shocked he would go after a Pleco!

How big is the pleco? Also is the oscar ATTACKING him, or more curiosity, nipping at him? Plecos are tough, if he is big enough not to be dinner I wouldn't worry. The oscar will get tired before he cracks that armor.

How big is the pleco? Also is the oscar ATTACKING him, or more curiosity, nipping at him? Plecos are tough, if he is big enough not to be dinner I wouldn't worry. The oscar will get tired before he cracks that armor.

The Pleco is as long as, if not a little longer than my Oscar. He keeps trying to bump him off the glass and the Pleco has taken refuge behind my filter stem. He must be coming out at night though because my brown, algae-covered rock is now white and looking like new again.

Now my new concern is the Firemouth starving to death. To my knowledge he has not eaten since we got him :( Oscar won't let him and the Firemouth won't come out of hiding lol

The Pleco is as long as, if not a little longer than my Oscar. He keeps trying to bump him off the glass and the Pleco has taken refuge behind my filter stem. He must be coming out at night though because my brown, algae-covered rock is now white and looking like new again.

Now my new concern is the Firemouth starving to death. To my knowledge he has not eaten since we got him :( Oscar won't let him and the Firemouth won't come out of hiding lol

Wow, you're just a bag of problems. Haha

If your pleco is hiding behind your filter, than you may not be providing adequate decorations for hiding. You should look into some driftwood or hollowed out logs for the pleco. That will reduce the aggression and you shouldn't have a problem long term. The first 24 hours of introducing a new fish is usually hell on earth for the new guy, so I wouldn't use that as an indicator for long-term compatibility.

Regarding the FM/Oscar feeding. I recommend doing both sinking and floating pellets at the same time. The oscar will naturally float to the top and get the floating pellets and the FM should get plenty of food.

Do you have a picture of your tank?

That pleco looks pretty big. I have a big sail fin pleco in a big tank with my Oscar and other fish. It could be e cause the Oscar doesn't have anyone else to occupy him. You should have more hiding places though for a pleco. I would say get rid of the Oscar. You really have to be prepared to house them to own one. I have one in a 180g tank with other aggressive fish.

AquaAussie said:
That pleco looks pretty big. I have a big sail fin pleco in a big tank with my Oscar and other fish. It could be e cause the Oscar doesn't have anyone else to occupy him. You should have more hiding places though for a pleco. I would say get rid of the Oscar. You really have to be prepared to house them to own one. I have one in a 180g tank with other aggressive fish.

Are you talking to me or the op?

You should really read the entire thread more carefully before responding...

That being said 5x5 gives sounds advice and I would have to mirror his suggestions.

Reactions: 5x5
I did read the whole thread. I was agreeing on a couple of points but saying that it might be because there are only three fish in the small tank that's why he's more aggressive. In a large tank with many fish I don't think it would happen.

Thanks, everyone. Yeah it looks like I'll definitely have to get rid of the Oscar. And I am not posting a current pic of my tank as I cannot get rid of this bacterial bloom I have and the water is cloudy. I just ordered another 75g filter to add to my current 75g filter and I am hoping this will help. I thought the cloudiness was algae growth but now that the algae is gone I believe I have a bacterial bloom :-(

Back
Top Bottom