unhealthy cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnyti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted yesterday under "unhealthy fish" but didn't get any advice so I'll try here also.
I have an all yellow african cichlid about 4". He was living in a 26gal tank with 4 other. He was the runt and I think he might have been picked on by the others. Two days ago I noticed his outside fins were threaded and was swimming strangely.The next morning he was swimming sporaticly and upside down. I moved into another smaller tank with a couple goldfish. I took out the carbon filters and added T.C.Tetracycline to the water (I couldn't find Melafix)
We're well into the second day and he seems strong but not using his bottom two fins. He swims all over but mostly up side down and not with cofidence. I wonder if he can see properly.
You see my situation, I want to save him but don't want him suffering.

One of the main issues is that you have 4 Africans in a tank that is WAY too small for them! He has probably been picked on to the point of almost death. You cannot successfully keep Africans in a small tank like that or with that few numbers. Even in a large tank, if you only have 4 there will be one VERY dominant fish that will attack all others. So, even if you get this poor guy back to good health, the minute you put him back in that tiny tank with the other 3 he will get tore into again :-(

I know but I'm doing the best I can. I addopted 6 ciclids,6 tetras, around 16 goldfish and a large pleco all in a 46 gal tank from a person who was sick annd couldn't take of them. I bought a 26 and a 10 and went on a crash learning course 6 months ago. I had the ciclids in the 46 with a couple of the goldfish but I found the goldfish dominated the food and doubled in size in hardly a month. I wish I would have bought a bigger tank but now I'm doing the best I can. It is to bad the only reply I've received is someone telling me I'm a bad care taker! But I do appreciate your response and any suggestions or advice.

I don't mean you are a bad care taker. Just letting you know that a 26 gallon with Africans will not work out after they hit a certain size. Is there any place you can take them to trade? Your 46 gallon would be a better choice for them. The thing with Africans are they are VERY aggressive and will attack the other fish you have, the Tetras and Gold fish. Do you know exactly what kind of cichlids they are? Knowing that would help to figure out what to do. :) If you don't know, can you take pics of them so we can help identify them?

The cichlids look like your picture but are solid yellow. Their color alters some times and in a certain light you can see zebra stripes. You're right about the one dominant one; he's taken over a tree stump and takes all the rocks out of it. But the others seem to stay together.
The injured one is trying to eat of the bottom but doesn't seem to be able to stay right side up but he's on his side and not up side down. Do you think his fins will repair themselves?

I have had many with ripped fins. In fact, I have a little Hongi who got stuck in the rocks and his fin got all tore up. Poor little guy was swimming with one pectoral fin clamped to his side! But, after 4 days its healing nicely. Unless there is fungus involved, the best thing for them to heal is clean water. I have never had to add any meds to my tank, even when a female red Zebra got her entire tail bit off. Their fins grow back just fine. I just make sure the water stays nice and clean and they heal up all by themselves. The best thing you can do for the guy is just make sure his tank stays nice and clean. You may also add a small amount of aquarium salt to the tank. This helps stimulate their slime coat to promote healing. I tend to error on the light side where salt is concerned. The instructions will say something like (not sure, just an example) 1 tablespoon per gallon, and I will do 1 teaspoon instead. For a 10 gallon I would add 2 teaspoons, not tablespoons. Make sure not to add any more unless you do a water change because it does not evaporate.

Sounds like what you have are hybrids of Red Zebra and Yellow Lab. When these two mate their fry comes out a deep golden yellow with no black in them like a Yellow Lab.

Hmm, you got a mess on your hands huh? The person you got these fish from did not do their research. If it was me I would find homes for the Goldfish ASAP. They grow VERY big and easily outgrown a tank as big as a 55 gallon. They are also very messy fish. After I did that I would move the cichlids to the 46 gallon and the tetra to the 26. Make sure you have a lot of rocks for caves in the cichlid tank. Do you? That could have been one of the reasons why the one got so beat up. With lots of caves the least dominant fish can hide if need be.

I learned how important the water changes were getting through the cycling process and do it regularly. The medicine I have calls for one (25%) every other day for a week. I did this before when a tetra had tail rot. I add salt with the water change but minimal.
Hopefully I can get another tank in order to take care of all these guys. I've had a hard time finding the kind of info you've given me today and want to thank you. I,m also not a great typer which make the communication more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom