Unplug first - Seriously

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been in the habit of unplugging everything before servicing my tanks, even just for PWCs. Glad I did. The last time one of the hood lights slipped out of my hand and fell in the water. I hate to think what would have happened if that was still plugged in.

True, very true. GFCI wall plug or power strip also a must. A power strip with one main 'off' switch is great to simplify things.

- D

don_chuwish said:
True, very true. GFCI wall plug or power strip also a must. A power strip with one main 'off' switch is great to simplify things.

- D

Yes, I agree, it is quite handy to have a power strip with one main "off" switch. Say, you bring up a question: I have a surge-protecting power strip in a standard three-prong grounded receptacle, but it is not GFCI. Should I/do I need to swap out the receptacle with a GFCI recep, or is the strip sufficient? Let's say that a heater cracks and zaps out. Would a strip trip and kill the power? Would GFCI?

jasadell said:
I have been in the habit of unplugging everything before servicing my tanks, even just for PWCs. Glad I did. The last time one of the hood lights slipped out of my hand and fell in the water. I hate to think what would have happened if that was still plugged in.

My light strip has fallen into my tank before while it was on... I grabbed it out soooo quickly and unplugged it to dry it out. I'm glad nothing happened... I've heard of it shocking fish..

Yes, I agree, it is quite handy to have a power strip with one main "off" switch. Say, you bring up a question: I have a surge-protecting power strip in a standard three-prong grounded receptacle, but it is not GFCI. Should I/do I need to swap out the receptacle with a GFCI recep, or is the strip sufficient? Let's say that a heater cracks and zaps out. Would a strip trip and kill the power? Would GFCI?

Surge protection isn't the same as GFCI. Yes, get a GFCI recep at the hardware store and swap it in. I'm gonna do the same even though we're renting!

- D

This is what a single switch power source looks like after contact with water - so no, it doesn't trip and kill the power (the main switch in the fuse box tripped in this case);

img_1737646_0_acd0805082f83f83753d5711790c8990.jpg

You can buy single switch, multiplug cords such as this one that not only have a single switch, but are also GFCI;

img_1737646_1_5c078ec6f56ed327594f9b4bd329df1c.jpg

I never turn off anything, I will now start doing it lol

I had a light, that was on, drop into my aquarium before. Luckily it tripped and cut off before it had time to shock anything.

i learned the hard way about turning things off... reached into the tank with a net to scoop out a baby molly, and the light went for a swim. thankfully i didn't get shocked when i reached in... i was going on impulse by that point, and forgot to unplug the light before i reached in, but the water was, shall i say "buzzy" lol. i'm sure it gave the fish a bit of a jolt, but i didn't lose anyone from the incident and they showed no signs of ever being stressed by it. (did have to buy a new light though :p)

I bought some GFCI's from Harbor Freight (like $5) and wired them in to external boxes with a short piece of a long extension cord I found on clearance, and a $.50 plug from home depot. I got tired of pulling out the GFCI and moving it when I moved my tanks.

ocminpin said:
My light strip has fallen into my tank before while it was on... I grabbed it out soooo quickly and unplugged it to dry it out. I'm glad nothing happened... I've heard of it shocking fish..

Electricity in a standard coaxial cable travels appx 123,000 miles per second (appx 66% the speed of light). No one can move fast enough. You were lucky.

herp_mommy said:
I had a light, that was on, drop into my aquarium before. Luckily it tripped and cut off before it had time to shock anything.

Esp if that nice-looking and expensive discus in your avatar was in that tank.

If you want to get more technical you can find out the time current curves of your breakers. I wouldn't be sticking my hand into a tank with a light it in. No matter how fast you are.

I just went through my OSHA and NFPA 70E Electrical Hazard training a few weeks ago. Here is an interesting table:

Jsdro.jpg

It has been said that even 17 milliamps can cause ventrical fibrillation. That is not a lot of current considering an average household breaker is 15 - 20A.

It can take your breaker nanoseconds to minutes to open depending on the overcurrent situation. We were told that with our 110V 20A circuits at work, we have roughly 4.2 seconds to get someone who is getting shocked off the circuit before the voltage pierces their skin and the current can kill them. That is hardly enough time to run down to your basement, find the right breaker and trip the circuit. We have E-Stops at the end of each row of cabinets at work. Even then we would not make it to them in time. We have a trusty 2x4 that we keep by our 240v+ cabinets to whack someone with to remove their hand from the circuit. A broken arm is better than being dead is the way we look at it.

Last edited:
Didn't mythbusters test this kinda? Well with a bathtub n hair dryer lol

Mythbusters did test this. If memory serves in the ideal setting it was said that as little as 4 milliamps could cause defib. For those not so privy that is 0.004 amps, your standard household receptacle is 15 amps do the math ;-) like I said this is under perfectly suited conditions. Buy the gfci and keep your hands out of the tank if your light falls in.

Back
Top Bottom