Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to patria
Unusual cichlid behavior

Hello my fishie-loving friends! Looking for your input/advice on my peacock cichlid's behavior the past two days...
This fish has been hanging out in the leaves of a fake plant almost like it's napping on a hammock for two days straight. I haven't witnessed it eating any food, and it only moves occasionally to fuss at its tankmates when they try to steal its comfy spot.
Any thoughts?
Water tests are great and the six other fish are acting perfectly normal.
First pic is the hiding spot and second is from last week.

Many thanks as always!!!

Sent from my VS930 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396990895820.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	232344   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396990920345.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	232347  

Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are the other fish? Do you see any bullying? Size of the tank? Any visible damage to the fish? Is it not interested in eating?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkairos View Post
What are the other fish? Do you see any bullying? Size of the tank? Any visible damage to the fish? Is it not interested in eating?
Hi. There are six other cichlids in the tank. Its a 55 gal, and the fish are all around 3". I'm posting pics of the tank and the other fish, since I'm not very experienced with cichlids and I'm not entirely positive of the exact types they are.
So, seven total fish, all cichlids, five are peacocks(or supposed to be) and two are mbuna(I believe red zebra and cobalt blue) I've read mbuna are more aggressive, but I've not had any problems with this group so far. The only aggression type behavior I've seen so far is just a bit of chasing, but even that is minimal. Everyone seems pretty content.

I've witnessed no bullying of this fish and there are no visible marks or fin nips. This morning the fish ventured away briefly from its hiding spot and I believe ate a bit tho I'm not positive. It is a little more active this evening, but I believe it's colors are faded and it seems smaller somehow.

I was planning to add more fish this weekend in an attempt to do the suggested crowding I've read about so much, but am hesitant because I don't want to possibly cause this fish to hide even more.

Any and all input are appreciated!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #4

Here's the best pics I could manage. Help with identification would be awesome as well.: )

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397100373729.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	232579  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks like you have a aulonocara baenschi ( sunshine peacock), yellow lab, and the last one seemed like a cobalt zebra. Can't tell what the others are. Size and number of fish is not bad.

I don't believe peacocks being overstocked in a tank helps. Mbuna yes on that.

Peacocks are more sensitive to water conditions than mbuna are. I would suggest keeping the tank water clean.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkairos View Post
Looks like you have a aulonocara baenschi ( sunshine peacock), yellow lab, and the last one seemed like a cobalt zebra. Can't tell what the others are. Size and number of fish is not bad.

I don't believe peacocks being overstocked in a tank helps. Mbuna yes on that.

Peacocks are more sensitive to water conditions than mbuna are. I would suggest keeping the tank water clean.
Ok thanks! I'll do an extra water change today and see if that helps.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long have you had it? I have a German red about that size that does similar things during the day, it runs out to snatch food but takes it back to eat it. It swims around at night though. It may just need to settle in some.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
How long have you had it? I have a German red about that size that does similar things during the day, it runs out to snatch food but takes it back to eat it. It swims around at night though. It may just need to settle in some.
Its been about three weeks, but it's only been acting like this the past few days

Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unusual cichlid behavior

I'm thinking something or some fish spooked it.

I'd give it time to settle in. Some fish take longer than others, when I introduced my Sunshine Benga he didn't come out of the cave except to eat for like 4 weeks. As long as water quality is good, and the fish doesn't look distressed (swollen/hard gills, pinched fins, tattered fins, heavy breathing, swollen body) it should be fine. My guess is it's still adjusting.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good lookin OB btw.

Tags
behavior, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com