Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unusual Cichlid behavior?

I have a male powder blue that I removed on Saturday and placed in my 30g QT. He was not allowing any tankmates to move in my 60g. Since he's been in the Qt tank he will not eat,his fins are all clamped (Which I have never seen him do ever) if he sees anyone in the room he charges at the glass and around the tank at such a speed that water splashes out the top.
I feel absolutely horrible and I don't know what to do? Is it possible that removing him was so traumatic that he is essentially lost his SH#! Do I sit and wait for him to basically kill himself because that's what it seems like he's doing or is there a chance he will get over the shock of being taken out of my main tank?
Like I said I feel so horrible. Has anyone ever had such a thing happen? What would you do?
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like a mean mad fish...Possibly it spawned in your tank and was defending eggs/fry or you have it in with fish that are not compatible ?
Powder blue ; socolofi ?
Who else is tank?

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

With New Worlds, if one fish gets too dominant it sometimes works to remove the troublesome fish, allow the second baddest fish to take over dominance for a while, then reintroduce the initial trouble maker. Often the once second dominates the previous number one. I don't know if this method applies to Africans. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Sounds like a mean mad fish...Possibly it spawned in your tank and was defending eggs/fry or you have it in with fish that are not compatible ?
Powder blue ; socolofi ?
Who else is tank?
Hi
My main tank has 3 Red Zebras,1 yellow lab,2 johani,2 Electric blue haps and 3 Giraffe. The Haps are being moved but they never bothered eachother. They would just stay in one place and watch. Honestly he was extremely territorial, but never locked lips or made contact, unlike my reds who have. He would just chase until they stopped he would flash to say "this is were you stay" and go back to making his nests. I was trying to figure out by behavior if he did pair with someone but he was treating everyone equally. However I did notice one of my reds not eating and looking like she was holding that is up until Sunday night she ate dinner. Omg could I have broken them up and he lost his crap because he's not in the tank?
I was going to try and put him back but he has this crazed look and im afraid now he will take out everyone.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
With New Worlds, if one fish gets too dominant it sometimes works to remove the troublesome fish, allow the second baddest fish to take over dominance for a while, then reintroduce the initial trouble maker. Often the once second dominates the previous number one. I don't know if this method applies to Africans. Good luck.
Thank you. I keep hoping he'll chill out enough so I can put him back with the rest. As of now I dont think he'd be able to handle it nor would the others.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevingo View Post
Hi
My main tank has 3 Red Zebras,1 yellow lab,2 johani,2 Electric blue haps and 3 Giraffe. The Haps are being moved but they never bothered eachother. They would just stay in one place and watch. Honestly he was extremely territorial, but never locked lips or made contact, unlike my reds who have. He would just chase until they stopped he would flash to say "this is were you stay" and go back to making his nests. I was trying to figure out by behavior if he did pair with someone but he was treating everyone equally. However I did notice one of my reds not eating and looking like she was holding that is up until Sunday night she ate dinner. Omg could I have broken them up and he lost his crap because he's not in the tank?
I was going to try and put him back but he has this crazed look and im afraid now he will take out everyone.
Yes a Socolofi
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

After seeing your Powder Blue's pic, he looks so calm and mellow, lol. Might consider buying one of these and putting it in your display tank. My Royal Tangerine Dragon Blood, is extremely tough and easily dominates all Africans I keep without harming any. The Dragon Bloods are hybrids, 50% Peacock, 50% unknown. He is roughly 5" long. Mine holds his own swimming along side some big new worlds as well as africans. IMO a DB could easily handle your bad boy Powder Blue. Just a suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170825_090347.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	304077  
Old 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
After seeing your Powder Blue's pic, he looks so calm and mellow, lol. Might consider buying one of these and putting it in your display tank. My Royal Tangerine Dragon Blood, is extremely tough and easily dominates all Africans I keep without harming any. The Dragon Bloods are hybrids, 50% Peacock, 50% unknown. He is roughly 5" long. Mine holds his own swimming along side some big new worlds as well as africans. IMO a DB could easily handle your bad boy Powder Blue. Just a suggestion.
I ended up rehoming all my Mbuna and my Haps and Peacocks are now in a 110g. Picked this guy up last week. I've got a few Haps that are easily double his size and he's had no problem with them. It will be interesting to see what happens as time goes by. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180220_182736-picsay.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	307372
Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you picked a good one.

Tags
behavior, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com