Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my particular case I am from Colorado Springs colorado and the water we get from tap comes from peaks peak meaning its snow melt. The ph readings for me from the tap range from 7.4 to 6.8 depending on the day and I have no idea why. The swing is not a next day swing but it moves around.
The best way to check is let it sit 24hr you get a better reading that way.

Anyway for me I just keep a stable ph and I like 8.2 once again for me it worked. And I have kept my jewel in the entire time. I didn't know when I bought it but it's not recommended for mbuna or peacocks that are reef lake cichlids to mix with river cichlids it can be done but yes you run into the opposite ph levels

The best thing to have is a consistent ph level so long it it's not crazy low and you don't have wild swings.

And last tap water is not consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My experience that with a stable neutral(7) or near neutral pH most aquarium fish can adapt as long as they don't come from severe extremes in pH. Moreover, mbuna in particular seem relatively tolerant of neutral pH.

Where I have had more difficulty is acclimating fish to large variances in GH which measures the mineral content in the water or total dissolved solids(TDS) which measures the amount of dissolved matter in the water. GH and TDS are usually correlated meaning that you will usually have high TDS if your GH is high and vice versa. This is not always the case but it usually is, especially in source water.

Now, we have no idea how hard the OP's water is so I can't really comment if it is an issue in this specific case or not.

And that's all I am saying it really depends on the tap water your getting. Where it's coming from how it's treated and so on.

xwing, the difference is that you are using buffers to maintain a steady pH and avoid swings by raising your KH and pH. I would posit that your fish may not be doing better because your pH is higher, but instead because it is more stable.

For the OP's situation, I would love to see some tests that show GH or TDS and also to know if she is seeing pH swings.

xwing, the difference is that you are using buffers to maintain a steady pH and avoid swings by raising your KH and pH. I would posit that your fish may not be doing better because your pH is higher, but instead because it is more stable.

For the OP's situation, I would love to see some tests that show GH or TDS and also to know if she is seeing pH swings.

Yes dalto this was my situation and that was my point everyone has a different formula based on your own tap water. And yes OP test it find our if your getting swings of ph.

The more information you can give the better answer you will get so we don't have to give a broad answer but a more specific answer

Back
Top Bottom