Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update

So I came home to another dead fish. This time I'm at tears it was my ob peacock... The prettiest one in there. And I have no idea why. My jewel cichlid was the one acting funny. But anyways. Do u think there's a disease in my tank? I have four cichlids left and there starting to have aggression again. And I want to add more fish in but not if there's a disease. Please help me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What did it look like? Not asking you to perform an autopsy or anything, just whether you noticed whether it was disease or injury related?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well his mouth wasn't open it was shut and he didn't look injured or anything. It just happened all of a sudden..... I'm confused. And the one that died the past to that have died have came from the same store so not sure if that's the problem or what...

Old 10-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure whether those type of cichlids are considered hardy, I only really keep Americans, but most of those are hardy. If you only get them die from one store, use others. I've had higher mortality rates in the past from certain stores that I no longer use. Double check for ammonia and nitrites. Do you have surface aeration from the filter or an air stone?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

When fish die without outward signs of issues it is typically caused by water quality or stress.

Can you remind us again what your water is like? Hard/Soft, pH, etc...

Where did the fish come from?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know your checking the water, what temp is the water? I had a heater malfunction and killed a few fish because water was too hot.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I feel that's all I do is check my water, everything seems normal I am really good with water changes once a week 30%. I feed twice a day what they can eat in 20 seconds. And now my jewel is out and about and I'm so happy but confused! And I've bought the three that have died at petz place on the south side(my town store) and I bought my first one from Walmart which is still alive and doing well, and all my others are from Massillon petsmart. I'm really hoping it's the store but I am deffiantly wanting another ob peacock. I think I'll wait and see what happens for alittle bit before I add any for disease wise...and my water is at 79 degrees?

Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Feeding twice a day produces more waste. If your going to do that you will need 2 wc a week.

OB peacock is a reef cichlid from lake Malawi

A jewel cichlid is a river cichlid

Point is they need different ph levels mbuna and peacocks prefer a high ph 7.8 or higher. Jewel cichlids prefer softer lower ph around 7.2 or lower.

We need to know what your ph levels are coming out of your tap water. What are your ph levels are in your tank.

Anytime you have a death you need a wc it throws your nitrites way up. You had a dead body for who knows how long.

It doesn't sound to me like your even keeping a stable ph level are you using a buffer or your just changing the water and crossing your fingers

Love to help you more but the more information you can give us the better we can help

Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is so little info on your tank... Is this on ongoing thing losing fish? How many fish and type in the tank? Tank size? We know you keep up with water changes. Why fish die.... Diseases, not necessarily from your tank but also from wherever they came from and could be spread throughout the tank. Stress from water parameters/temp. Aggression from other fish, cichlids are notorious for that.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

My ph from my tap water is 7.5 so I don't add anything in. But I did try to add mesh bags full of crushed coral shells to raise it. Didn't even do anything I don't think. But anyways I was planning on changing my gravel to sand. And I've had my tank for less than 6 months. I have a mixed variety a zebra obliquen a jewel a johanni and a acei.

Tags
ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com