Update, on me 29 gallon Cichlid hunt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtwin64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I talked to my local and trusted aquarist today at a family run business and told them the quotation I had concerning me cichlids. I have a 29 Gallon Fish tank, and as of right now, Their are 3 Yellow Labs, 2 Peacocks, 1 Auratus (I know, he'll be coming out this weekend, but he's very mellow right now, and not mean) and 1 Pleco... I've been told not to mix the Yellow Labs and Peacocks several times here on this forum, but the local aquarists and so far, they have gotten along just fine. Their all about an inch in a half and showing bright colors. Is this a bad combination? Also, the aquarists at my local family run store told me I would have no problem overstocking the 29 gallon with Cichlids that are more calmer and up to 20 cichlids. But with tons of WC... Am I doing okay, or is the tank gonna have too many conflicts? I love having cichlids expecually the Yellow Labs and Peacocks, but if one has to go, it would be the Peacocks. Thanks

That tank is not suitable for those fish it is much to small an there is no way in hell you are fitting 20 fish in that 29 gallon. People in those stores are just trying to get your money, I'd go by what other hobbyist on this and other forums recommend not what the guy at the LFS tells you.

20 cichlids is the amount of cichlids for a 55 gallon 4 ft long tank. with your tank right now it is really small for africans. i think 5 MAY be okay. please dont get 20 cichlids thats way to over stocked. wc help, but it does not mean you can overstock like that.

x2 don't do it. Get a bigger tank if you want those types of cichlids. I learned the hard way but with the help of the members here I now have a beautifully thriving 75 gallon African Cichlid tank.

I agree my tank would have never been how it is, trust me the fish havent matured yet and when they do they will rip eachother to shreds. But there are cichlids that can be okay in a 29, like Multi cichlids aka shell dweller cichlids

So far; their getting along just fine, if I notice any sudden behaviors in the fish, I will separate them and return them to the store I purchased them from. Their all still about inch in a half. They don't Fight over territory as much, their s only one male peacock who shows a little dominance over the Yellow Labs and the other peacock, but gets along fine. Their are 3 Yellow Labs, 2 Peacocks, 1 Pleco...

I would stop there, maybe get some Giant Danios they'll school and keep motion in the tank so they'll focus more on that....(If you really feel the need to get more Stock they are way too fast and big for them to catch) and save up for a 55 gallon. I am in the same boat. My Africans will go into my 60 Gallon and my 60 stock will got into a 125 gallon...if I find the room in the basement lol

Yeah, I'm happy with my stock so far as long as they keep getting along.. Adding some fast moving fish is a great idea to keep the attention of the Africans off of each other, thanks. I'm glad these fish are working out right now, and WC are essential for keeping the tank healthy and The Colors Bright on the fish, I do plan on buying a larger tank... I'm pretty sure the male to female ratio is good too, it's too soon to sex them tho.

Back
Top Bottom