Upgrade advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys here's the scene..
I have a 40 gallon that I'm upgrading to a 60 gallon. What I want to do is drain the "dirty" water in to a 40 gallon drum in order to put it in the 60 for the good bacteria. Leave the fish in it with a heater and air stone. Then set up the 60 (gravel, heater lights ect..). Then add the contents of the old tank (heater, "dirty" water and fish) to the 60. Also I will be using the old media from my filter (fluval canister) in the 60 with out rinsing, trying to maintain as much good bacteria.

If you have any opinions good or bad let me know. If you have any pointers as well let me know. Thanks

The most important thing is to transfer the filter media then the substrate. They hold the most amount of bacteria. The water is useless when it comes to the cycle. The only reason I'd keep it would be to avoid having to acclimate the fish again.

cichlid_tank619 said:
I like the look of gravel. It's beach pebble. I think it would be easier to clean with the gravel vac.

Hm, not to hijack your thread, but you might want to ask around regarding cleaning gravel vs sand. I currently have gravel and have to gravel vac with every PWC. I have often considered switching to sand in order to reduce the cleaning efforts. I have heard in this forum that "debris" does not get down into sand, and with increased water flow debris breaks up and eventually ends up in the filter. You would know how maintaining sand is better than I would, of course. I can just attest that gravel is really not easy to keep clean and requires regular maintenance. On the other hand, you don't have to worry about gravel being sucked into your filter and damaging it. Just some things to consider.

I totally agree, sand is SO much better than gravel when doing your maintenance/water changes.

cichlid_tank619 said:
I could see how it could be a pain. When pouring water it will stir up all the waste. Hmmmmm?

Did you mean regarding sand or gravel? If gravel, no not really. Water flow really does not kick up the waste because it works it's way under the gravel and to the bottom glass of the tank. You really have to dig at it with a good strong gravel vac to get it out of there, and in the process of doing so it clouds up the water for a while.

Don't let me sway you though. Choose whichever you prefer. I just wanted you to know that you may have more maintenance than less if you switch from sand to gravel.

So should I set up the 60 with fresh water, treat it with some prime and bacteria boost? Then set up the canister with the old media? Then acclimate the fish to that water?
I just don't want my fish in a bucket for weeks...
I know it needs to cycle but will the fresh water really harm them?

cichlid_tank619 said:
So should I set up the 60 with fresh water, treat it with some prime and bacteria boost? Then set up the canister with the old media? Then acclimate the fish to that water?
I just don't want my fish in a bucket for weeks...
I know it needs to cycle but will the fresh water really harm them?

Fresh water doesn't harm fish. It's good for them. That's why we do water changes.
Set the tank up, put the fish in buckets, make sure the waters dechlorinated, make sure the tanks up to temp, move the canister and decor then add the fish after acclimating them. Simple. Nothing to worry about except the odd chance of a mini cycle. Test your params regularly and if you see any ammonia or nitrite do a water change.
Oh and don't even worry about the bacteria booster. IMO they are useless.

Last edited:
The use of "bacterial boosters" are highly debatable. Personally, I do not use them and do not think they work very well, if at all. Many people claim to have good experience with them and just as many had more issues because of them.

As far as sand vs. gravel. I love sand, but if you want gravel it is totally up to you. My next tank I am going to dirt with potting soil and cap with sand since I have live plants.

I will tell you what I did when I upgraded my 29 gallon tank to my 55 gallon. I drained some of the water from the 29 gallon into a big rubbermade tub with a syphon and while I did this I removed plants and decor and netted the fish into the rubbermade tub. Then I used a dustpan to scoop my sand out and transfer it to the 55 gallon. I washed more sand and added it to the 55 gallon and mixed it around with the sand that was already there and then I started filling the 55 gallon up and I planted my plants in the sand while it was filling up with fresh water. Then I hooked my filter up to the 55 gallon with the same filter media and everything and I scooped some of the old water out of the rubbermade container and put it in the new tank, there isn't much bacteria in the water but I did it anyway just to save water. I used a net and netted the fish from the rubbermade container into the new tank and poured the rest of the of the old water into the tank. Probably used about 20 gallons of old water in the 55 gallon tank.

I tested my water every day for a week and when I noted the nitrates were climbing steadily and I didn't have any ammonia or nitrite spikes I started a water changing schedule to keep my nitrates where I want them.

Spoke with the people at LFS. They said to try and use as much of the water that's in the tank. Don't clean the media in the canister and also if I wanted to I could take the old substrate and put it in a stocking "tea bag" the water.

So that's what I'm going to do. Drain all the water into a bin. Then put it back into the new tank. Add fresh water. Then use a stocking for a week or two. It should have the same effect as a 20 gallon water change.. I hope.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom