Upgrading from 30G to 75G African Cichlid tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Upgrading should be fairly easy. Use the substrate and all contents from the 30g for the 75g. The 75 will be 50% full, simply add another 25% fresh water one day, then fill it completely a few days later. In the meantime, use the filter from the 30 on the 75g along with any new filter you might have and you should carry over all bacteria with you.

Yeah that's what I've been doing lately. Still got awhile before it's done but it's getting there. No nitrites yet. I'd prefer to not have to tank overstocked, is this acceptable as long as I provide plenty of hiding spots?

Look's like you and I are going to be busy, I just picked up a 220 gallon tank yesterday. Some of the Cichlid's in my 55 are getting big 4" or so.
I'm going to put that sea carib cichlid sand in this one to. Just because of it's natural ph 8.0 buffer.
Cichlid Substrate - Aquarium Advice Product Reviews This stuff comes in black and white. My other tank I mixed the black and white to make it look like the beach's in Hawaii.

I know mfdrookie516 uses pool sand but not sure were he keeps his ph.

Keep me updated. I'll be following your build.

Upload Pics

With more experience overstocking isn't that big of an issue, infact it can outweigh the negatives as long as you do the necessary maintenance. You could try plugging your details into aqadvisor.com and see how many water changes and what % it says might be needed each week (or days).

With more experience overstocking isn't that big of an issue, infact it can outweigh the negatives as long as you do the necessary maintenance. You could try plugging your details into aqadvisor.com and see how many water changes and what % it says might be needed each week (or days).

Yeah that's what I did for slightly overstocked and it wanted nearly 40% like every week or so. That's a bit much for me. Being in the military sometimes I'm gone for a few days so I'd prefer to be slightly understocked that way I don't have change water as often. I don't mind doing it, it's just if I'm gone for a week or so I can do it before I leave and not worry about being in the hole so to speak when I get back

Back
Top Bottom