Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Upside down cichlid with swollen abdomen :(

What was once a stunning pink convict is now a poor suffering fish. This has been going on for over a week and he gets worse every day. I don't have a sick tank so using a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an air stone. I cannot believe he is still alive. Medications don't seem to be curing him, just sustaining his misery. I don't have the heart to put him down...or watch him suffer any more. He looks like by morning he will explode
What shall I do? His anus is huge and clear...very odd. I just read about Epsom salt for swim bladder but do not have any on hand. What else works for swim bladder? Should I keep trying or put him down? What a sad end to his life.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaishi View Post
What was once a stunning pink convict is now a poor suffering fish. This has been going on for over a week and he gets worse every day. I don't have a sick tank so using a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an air stone. I cannot believe he is still alive. Medications don't seem to be curing him, just sustaining his misery. I don't have the heart to put him down...or watch him suffer any more. He looks like by morning he will explode
What shall I do? His anus is huge and clear...very odd. I just read about Epsom salt for swim bladder but do not have any on hand. What else works for swim bladder? Should I keep trying or put him down? What a sad end to his life.
I'm sorry but it sounds like bloat. You need to QT him even if its a bucket. Air stone and heater. Treat with Kosher salt and don't feed. But by the sound of it, it may be too late

Keep us posted. I hope for the best. I lost 4 to bloat awhile back. Your right, they look like there gonna explode.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you.
How much salt per a 5 gallon bucket?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I'm sorry but it sounds like bloat. You need to QT him even if its a bucket. Air stone and heater. Treat with Kosher salt and don't feed. But by the sound of it, it may be too late

Keep us posted. I hope for the best. I lost 4 to bloat awhile back. Your right, they look like there gonna explode.
Sorry for the sickness (bloat) in the Convict.....I hate to lose any living thing. But what exactly causes "bloat".
Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can't believe it, but my cichlid is still alive! The bloat is gone, he is no longer upside down and is eating well and very active! Not completely recovered but well on his way. I'm so glad I didn't euthanize him, it was very hard to watch him be so sick.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

over feeding them and too high of protien in there diet from what i understand is mainly what causes bloat in most africans from what i hear its more common in mbunas then others but i'm sure someone with a tad bit more experience can better explain
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you feed them with? What brand and how often.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed sinking pellets, the brand doesn't really matter obviously the more expensive the better but look at the nutritional facts. Anything with over 35% protein is too high IMO, I feed once a day and skip one day a week to prevent bloat. I also will offer some frozen brine shrimp and algae wafers from time to time

Tags
cichlid, ich, psi, swollen, upside down

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com