URGENT Found fish dead!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Thanks Mumma!! :(

Just did a 25% WC and dosed Prime cap and a half. When should I test water again? Fish seem happy! Active and playing around. Breaking my stones my by moving my Anubias around lol!!

Hope it was nothing more serious.

Give the new water time to circulate probably half hour or so.

Will do and thanks. I just finished a 25% WC and used Prime. Will be keeping an eye on them. Still can't identify the one the passed. I had 26 in there. I'm trying now to see which one has passed. Is it weird that I'm kinda sad? I'm new to the hobby and didn't think I would get attached.

No it's not weird! I love my fish! My husband has watched in amazement as I fret over a sick fish. He says "he only cost a dollar and a half, buy a new one", I tell him the cost is not the point. I love MY fish, not some random fish at the pet store!

Some of my fish have names, my molly is Mrs. Weasley (any Harry Potter fans out there) and my gourami is His Majesty King Harald :)

I just hope it was just a fluke but I keep reading that a healthy fish, especially African Cichlids should get hung up on a filter. It's only a AC 110, he should have been able to get out of it. Maybe he was just sick? I just pray it's not anything worse. I'll just test test test and keep an eye on them all. Watching closely for any changes in behavior.

It may have been an aggression issue that you haven't noticed. It hasn't been that long you've had the 75 set up so I wouldn't rule that out. I noticed you said you did a water change with temps that "felt the same by hand". I hope that's not what you normally do and should consider buying a floating glass thermometer to help ensure the right temps when adding water. What may feel the same to your hand could actually be a 5 or more degree difference.

It may have been an aggression issue that you haven't noticed. It hasn't been that long you've had the 75 set up so I wouldn't rule that out. I noticed you said you did a water change with temps that "felt the same by hand". I hope that's not what you normally do and should consider buying a floating glass thermometer to help ensure the right temps when adding water. What may feel the same to your hand could actually be a 5 or more degree difference.

I have 2! one on each end of tank

I disagree. If you can get the water temp to the point where it feels the same in the tank as it does from the tap, at that point any temp difference will be so negligible it won't affect the temp in the tank at all.

UPDATE;

Tested again:

Temp a steady 78

Ammonia 0

pH 7.6 (a strong nice blue)

Nitrates 20

Nitrites 0

Fish look heathy and active. Watching them closely.

Maybe just a fluke? Sick fish? I dunno. Hopefully that's it.

So how's it looking? Anything to worry about? I keep researching and I'm finding thy healthy fish especially African Cichlid's shouldn't get caught up in a filter. Says there strong fish.

Even though a species may be referred to as hardy or strong, doesn't mean that every specimen will be. It is true that unless you have a filter sucking in water at warp speed, a healthy fish will not get stuck on it. I have had krib fry 2 weeks old hang on the filter to eat, then swim away from it. Certainly, a healthy adult fish could.

Perhaps my OCD ways have me always following steps to the t. Even after 15 years of pet care.

One of these days I'm gonna take a pic of my setup. I'm just never happy with it and always making changes. Just picked up some Italian Val (hopefully it puts up with the ph) and some anubias.

Yeah I have OCD also and it hinders my ability to enjoy them because I'm always testing water or doing water changes. I just wanna enjoy them. I just worry too much and now with this death I'm testing like 3x's a day!! And I'm watching them and making sure there ok.

So far so good except for the one death. Maybe it was really just a fluke. But I'll be watching.

LyndaB said:
Even though a species may be referred to as hardy or strong, doesn't mean that every specimen will be. It is true that unless you have a filter sucking in water at warp speed, a healthy fish will not get stuck on it. I have had krib fry 2 weeks old hang on the filter to eat, then swim away from it. Certainly, a healthy adult fish could.

It was a AC 110 he was suctioned on to it. He had to be sick or weak.

I think your ok...I found that my Africans like it a little hotter tha 78. I run at about 81. Also IMHO get rid of the moss balls. They will get ripped up over time and clog the crap out of your filtration. I had a huge nitrate spike when I had moss before. Not at first but after a bit. Everything else looks fine to me. Could be he just died. It dosent look like bloat to me or Ich....Your doing a good job, try not to worry too much.

Yeah I have OCD also and it hinders my ability to enjoy them because I'm always testing water or doing water changes. I just wanna enjoy them. I just worry too much and now with this death I'm testing like 3x's a day!! And I'm watching them and making sure there ok.

So far so good except for the one death. Maybe it was really just a fluke. But I'll be watching.

My wife calls me a helicopter mom with my tanks..Like the moms you see that hover over thier kids every time the cough or stub thier toe freak out and run to the Dr. I think that tanks need a small, managed amount of neglect to be heathy...Just let it be....Your doing everything right

Last edited by a moderator:
Jmedic25 said:
I think your ok...I found that my Africans like it a little hotter tha 78. I run at about 81. Also IMHO get rid of the moss balls. They will get ripped up over time and clog the crap out of your filtration. I had a huge nitrate spike when I had moss before. Not at first but after a bit. Everything else looks fine to me. Could be he just died. It dosent look like bloat to me or Ich....Your doing a good job, try not to worry too much.

Moss balls are gone. Destroyed my filters! UGH!! Had to take them out and clean the piping and screens. It was all clumped up.

I know i had to clean my filters every day because my pleco would mess with the moss ball. Then I had a skyrocked in nitrates...lost 3 fish and finally pulled the moss ball out. This was in my tropical 36.

Back
Top Bottom